What does this mean when a recruiter says.......

abarisme

What does this mean when a recruiter says.......

Post by abarisme »

Hi Guys!

I guess I am over - but that's the way I am so so be it. What kinds of things will a recruiter say to a candidate if they are not interested?

You know some people are just not STRAIT UP and HONEST so you as the candidate have to make inferences!

Please advise.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Well they will say things like we are going with another candidate, or your not a good fit, or thanks but your not a match.

The harder ones are the they like you but our not the top of the list.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: What does this mean when a recruiter says.......

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="abarisme"]Hi Guys!

I guess I am over - but that's the way I am so so be it. What kinds of things will a recruiter say to a candidate if they are not interested?

You know some people are just not STRAIT UP and HONEST so you as the candidate have to make inferences!

Please advise.[/quote]

I like you, you know your stuff, but..we are going to keep looking, there are some candidates at blank fair that we still need to talk with and my favorite...I really think we need a female on the team (yes, true story!!).
PsyGuy

Wish

Post by PsyGuy »

I really wish admins would just get pass the chase, and keep the rejection short and brief. Too many new candidates are confused by what is flattering rhetoric, in an attempt to save someone's feelings by mplying that they were a strong candidate, or whatever and that the note means anything but were sorry we're to interested at this time.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Wish

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I really wish admins would just get pass the chase, and keep the rejection short and brief. Too many new candidates are confused by what is flattering rhetoric, in an attempt to save someone's feelings by mplying that they were a strong candidate, or whatever and that the note means anything but were sorry we're to interested at this time.[/quote]

I have heard straight up, no thanks before. It hurts, but I did appreciate the honesty. I also have had the happy talk that sounds good but commits the school to nothing. Sometimes I really think they meant it, and others that it was just face-saving BS. You are right that ultimately, if the school really wants you they will make you an offer and not risk losing you.

I think the problem is that schools many times act as if recruiting is really akin to dating multiple partners at the same time. They want to keep everyone on a slow simmer and ready for an emergency booty call, even if they are not that into you (on the of chance their 1st/2nd choice doesn't pan out).
overseasvet2

the international school waltz

Post by overseasvet2 »

How many times have we heard people on this forum with the same approach? "Should I sign a contract but then if a better offer comes up take it anyway?"

It's all a dance.
Danda

Post by Danda »

wrldtrvlr123,

I’m glad someone else has gotten the booty call from a recruiter. I used to always wonder why all the female recruiters slipped me their numbers and wanted to discuss things over dinner. It seemed to always end up with drinks in their rooms. Seemed like an odd interviewing technique but I always got offered the job. Sometimes I had multiple dinner/interview sessions in a night at the fairs. It was exhausting. It’s hard to explain to the wife that these booty calls are necessary for us to get good jobs. Now I'll show her your post to prove it's all part of the game.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Danda"]wrldtrvlr123,

I’m glad someone else has gotten the booty call from a recruiter. I used to always wonder why all the female recruiters slipped me their numbers and wanted to discuss things over dinner. It seemed to always end up with drinks in their rooms. Seemed like an odd interviewing technique but I always got offered the job. Sometimes I had multiple dinner/interview sessions in a night at the fairs. It was exhausting. It’s hard to explain to the wife that these booty calls are necessary for us to get good jobs. Now I'll show her your post to prove it's all part of the game.[/quote]

Always happy to be of service (as stated on my CV).
PsyGuy

LOL

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

LOL...
Was not expecting that kind of response from you, you made tea come out my nose.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: LOL

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@wrldtrvlr123

LOL...
Was not expecting that kind of response from you, you made tea come out my nose.[/quote]

:D

Hey, I actually did track down a recruiter at the bar in BKK to make a last minute pitch. That didn't involve servicing but if it would have closed the deal, I would have considered it (maybe).

Maybe it would have helped. They decided to keep looking for "the perfect fit" (who I hope turns out to a major disappointment for them, TBH).
miscitch

got this response..... meaning?

Post by miscitch »

We are over budget on singles and looking for couple but if we do not find a couple we want you.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: got this response..... meaning?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="miscitch"]We are over budget on singles and looking for couple but if we do not find a couple we want you.[/quote]

I could almost buy that one, from some schools. The best will still want the best person, but for positions that are not hard to fill, they will still prefer a couple, many times.
PsyGuy

Almost

Post by PsyGuy »

Yeah i could ALMOST buy it too, and its one of those insidious excuses, because it has a small grain of truth to it. The cost saving on a teaching couple is only at most 12% and it falls to almost nothing where there isnt a housing package.
miscitch

Re:

Post by miscitch »

It is one of the top schools. Stated that they were going to next fair and if a couple not found would contact me.
overseasvet2

excuses on houses and cars

Post by overseasvet2 »

If hiring a single means buying one more car and leasing another apartment for a year, it can be very costly for a school. You'd have to be a superstar for a school to willinginly add this cost to their bottom line. I don't think this reason should be dismissed out of hand ....it can mean less PD funds, less teaching materials, etc for others. The money pot is not infinite...even in the big schools. The cost of hiring a non-working spouse is less than hiring a single vs a couple. In some countries couples can also be more stable and happier in their private life. If a school heavily emphasizes couples, it may not be a great place for a single anyway.