Job Offers and Intent Contracts

iTeach314

Job Offers and Intent Contracts

Post by iTeach314 »

Hello,
I have been offered two jobs at a fair this weekend. One of these places has given me a Letter of Intent Temporary Contract. Besides the obvious things like salary, housing, relocation, etc, what other things should I be looking for in this contract?
adminpaul

Bill of Rights for International Teachers

Post by adminpaul »

Have a look at the contract section of the International Teachers Bill of Rights. That will give you some ideas.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... rights.htm
PsyGuy

Contracts

Post by PsyGuy »

Most contracts are boiler plate, the temp contract should talk about compensation, teaching hours, which should be the two main things.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Thanks. Yes my contract has those things and more. This site has been a great resource.
Neptune

Be cautious

Post by Neptune »

I once had a letter of intent that wasn't honored and got the run around on the actual contract in print until it was almost too late for me to find something else. Also, consider this, why wouldn't they have a contract to give you? Are they telling you that they're reviewing fixing the current one? Don't buy that. I've heard that line before. Most schools you want to work at will get you a contract in 2 days if not that very day. Don't sign on spec. You'll be sorry.
doubtful

Post by doubtful »

I signed a letter of intent recently, but I am not concerned.

The school comes well recommended, the position posting was removed from the website immediately, and they have been forthcoming in answering all of my questions. The school's board doesn't meet until March to determine next year's contract details, so it has to wait. The salary i was quoted won't go down, but could very well increase

The school has a good reputation with Search, so I cannot imagine that they would damage that by being shady. However, I did a great deal of research before agreeing to sign. I can imagine that there have been situations where schools have used this method of stringing folks along.
PsyGuy

Intent Letters

Post by PsyGuy »

Intent letters are becoming more and more standard, as HR handles them along with the finer details. Im sure and have heard of a slightly higher percentage of problems with them, but its very negligible.