Help!

psychris

Help!

Post by psychris »

Hi guys,

I'm currently at the Cambridge fair and things have been going well, but I've found that some schools want to move faster than others. Many of the schools I've met with have shown interest, but one, in particular, is VERY interested and wants me to review a contract first thing tomorrow. The others said they still need to talk to directors and administrators who are at other fairs and follow up either later in the weekend, or via Skype next week.

It's my first fair/international assignment, so needless to say, I'm really excited. The school that wants me to sign is a Tier 1 school in Beijing (one of the two), while the others are Tier 1 schools in Shanghai, Manila, Seoul, and Madrid. The Bejing school supposedly has the best overall package, it's ISR reviews are favorable, and it seems like a job I'd really enjoy; however, each school has its strengths.

My question:

Should I go with my gut and sign the contract right away or wait to hear from the other schools that have shown interest, even though it's possible none of them will make offers?

Bonus points to anyone who can compare living in Beijing vs. any of the others, based on first-hand experience.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

If you have an offer from WAB for ISB then the only schools in those other cities that can compare are
Shanghai: SAS
Manila: ISM
Madrid: Nothing really other than the city itself (so if its school v. school then Beijing)
Seoul: I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure nothing touches ISB or WAB maybe SFS

WAB and ISB are often considered along with SAS to be THE top schools in China. The package at all three are pretty fantastic. Hard to beat. Truly if your considering any of those schools they are all pretty good choices. The Beijing schools also carry with them a fair bit of prestige within the int'l circuit with could assist you in finding a future job.

I think the school should give you some time to decide. Its most likely they will give you twenty-four hours. Cambridge is getting later in the fair season though so they probably want to move forward quickly.

Be honest with the recruiter and explain you are in discussion with a few schools and ask for a day. If you hear nothing by the end of the day well you have your answer.

Many people would eagerly jump at WAB or ISB for their first posting so you can't really go wrong.

Keep us updated
psychris

Post by psychris »

@gr8teach Thanks for the insight! You've identified three of the five schools on my "interested" list. I knew Madrid couldn't compare, package wise, with the big Asian schools, but I just love jamon so much that I was keeping it in the running. KIS couldn't even interview me without approval from the director, who wants to Skype with prospective candidates after Cambridge, so that was the least likely to amount to anything.

I guess I was wondering if expat life, outside of work, in either Shanghai or Manila was so much better than life in Beijing that it would justify delaying signing at an elite school.

FYI, I'm a single male, 30.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

It really depends on who you are.There are tons of threads on the internet debating between Shanghai and Beijing. The climate is better in Shanghai but there is no central heating-- meaning its freezing in winter and wet. Beijing is cold but probably warmer than Rochester during the winter months. Beijing is quite spread out and a little less expensive than Shanghai. Pollution is bad in Beijing but its also bad in most Asian cities. Beijing is considered friendlier than Shanghai. Shanghai perhaps a little more modern, since is more of a financial center. Beijing is consider more cultural. Shanghai may have a few more western products but Beijing would have an ample supply. Either way Asia is a pretty great spot for a 30 year old male. All cities tend to have pretty great nightlife and options to keep you busy. If you go to any of those big three you mentioned there would also be a big network of teachers since they are such huge schools.
psychris

Post by psychris »

Thanks again.

Yeah, Rochester SUCKS in the winter. I dont think Beijing will phase me in that respect.

I think I'm going to take your advice and ask Beijing for the rest of the day to decide. I'll see if I hear from Shanghai and/or Manila, then make my decision tomorrow night. I'll update you tomorrow.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="psychris"]Thanks again.

Yeah, Rochester SUCKS in the winter. I dont think Beijing will phase me in that respect.

I think I'm going to take your advice and ask Beijing for the rest of the day to decide. I'll see if I hear from Shanghai and/or Manila, then make my decision tomorrow night. I'll update you tomorrow.[/quote]

I'm in Beijing now and WAB and ISB are both great schools and amazing opportunities as a first int'l posting. Consider your options but unless something even more amazing is on the table, jump at the offer. After a few years in an amazing school and exciting city (where you can actually save money), you'll be able to write your own ticket.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

wrldtrvlr123- As your currently in Beijing, how would you compare the city to Manila and Shanghai?
nancyt

Post by nancyt »

What is your experience as a school counselor? If it is little, then I would go for the job that would have the best team. I know many of the counselors internationally and I could give you some insight (though privately).

There is a big difference between a school counselor and a psychologist as far as training and job responsibilities. Sounds like the schools are happy to have you on board with your skill set but those that hire often know very little about what we do. That said, in all those areas, the schools are big and you will work in a team.
inman

Post by inman »

I'd take either WAB or ISB over the others without a doubt. Well done to you for attracting interest from such good schools, especially for your first international job.

I like Beijing a lot, though I accept it's not for everyone. However, having an employer that treats you right takes away a lot of the stress felt by many in the region, and I don't doubt that WAB or ISB would treat you well. Also, as mentioned by a couple of others, even if you don't like Beijing then having these schools on your resume will be very good for future applications.

Best of luck,

Inman
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="gr8teach"]wrldtrvlr123- As your currently in Beijing, how would you compare the city to Manila and Shanghai?[/quote]

I don't really have any basis of comparision with Manila.

I have only limited experience with Shanghai as a tourist. From the pople I know who have lived in both places, opinions are about split on which they have preferred. Generally people have felt the pollution was a little better in Shanghai. It's gets colder in Beijing but wet, rainy and nasty in Shanghai. Some people have really liked being able to be near the waterfront, others have said that they stayed away from it due to people constantly trying to sell you things or otherwise talk you out of your money.

Both have a range of nice housing options, restaurants and western goods apparently.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Manila will probably be the easiest city to live in, in terms of Western conveniences. Everybody speaks English. They have all the Western shops/food chains, etc. Thank American colonization for that. Now, being Filipino American, I'm a little biased - I'd kill to have a job back "home".

Besides all that - I interviewed last year for a counseling position in one of the Tier 1 schools at Beijing in Cambridge and it was also my first fair. I really liked meeting with them and even got to the last stage. I wasn't offered the position, BUT I sensed it was a supportive administration. I don't think you can go wrong if that's the path you choose. I did end up getting a job at a great school that has all that outside the fairs.

I also agree with the nancyt's comment about counseling. Having come from a clinical background, int'l school counseling is quite different. But if you have a good team - which is the case where I am now - you'll learn a lot on the ground.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

If one of your choices is SAS I would advise you to ask what division you are being considered for. If it is Puxi ES then I would think long and hard about the choice because you will be moving into a toxic work environment. If it is for one of the other divisions either in Puxi or Pudong then it would be a good move.

There is a lot to like about both Shanghai and Beijing, as long as you like big cities.

Good Luck
psychris

Post by psychris »

Update: I didnt feel like waiting the rest of the day to get offers that would most likely pale in comparison to the one I already received, so I went with Beijing. The administrators were all great and it seems like they really care about their employees, as well as meeting the social and emotional needs of their students.

FYI, it's a middle school position in the Beijing school described as more "warm and fuzzy," as opposed to "academically driven" on other threads.

I'm ecstatic about my decision.

Now, I'm off to enjoy Boston.
Lobstah, STAT!
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Cool//// good for you... what do u teach?
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

@ wrldtrvlr123; where to next? Any positions next?