When a recruiter asks . . .

dreamgiver

When a recruiter asks . . .

Post by dreamgiver »

I'm currently at a job fair. What do I tell a recruiter when they ask what other schools I'm considering or what other schools I have interviews set up with? I have been asked this question several times so I assume it's standard. It feels nosey. I can understand they want to know if I'm entertaining other offers so they know how quickly they need to act. But to just ask what other schools I'm interested in or have an interest expressed in me doesn't make much sense to me. Do they want to know how in demand I am and with which caliber of schools?

On one hand I think it's good to let them know I have interviews lined up ASAP with several elite and tier 1 schools. It helps them know they've got a very competitive candidate in front of them and they'd better get a move on if they want me! But is there any reason why I should keep my cards close to my chest and not be too informative?
PsyGuy

DONT

Post by PsyGuy »

They know you have other interviews lined up its a job "FAIR" not a job "INTERVIEW". Either two things: 1) They are trying to figure out how "expensive" you are. 2) They are testing your professionalism and people skills, can you address the question with tact, without breaching your professionalism.

Dont "brag" by dropping school names. My advice when it comes to sensitive information such as this, is to tell them what they already know or "common knowledge". Do so politely. A response such as "I have a busy schedule" or "My day is full" is appropriate, then direct the conversation back to your value to the school. if they persist, say "your uncomfortable with that question".
wrldtrvlr123

Re: When a recruiter asks . . .

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="dreamgiver"]I'm currently at a job fair. What do I tell a recruiter when they ask what other schools I'm considering or what other schools I have interviews set up with? I have been asked this question several times so I assume it's standard. It feels nosey. I can understand they want to know if I'm entertaining other offers so they know how quickly they need to act. But to just ask what other schools I'm interested in or have an interest expressed in me doesn't make much sense to me. Do they want to know how in demand I am and with which caliber of schools?

On one hand I think it's good to let them know I have interviews lined up ASAP with several elite and tier 1 schools. It helps them know they've got a very competitive candidate in front of them and they'd better get a move on if they want me! But is there any reason why I should keep my cards close to my chest and not be too informative?[/quote]

It can be tricky, I have mentioned schools by name before, then found out the schools talked about me, to each other, between 2nd interviews. In this case I don't believe it hurt me, but I can see how it could be damaging in some circumstances. They will or should know you are competitive and you should be able to convey that without dropping names. On the other hand, I guess it could make some schools jealous if they hear you may sign with a bitter rival (just kidding, kind of).

Good luck and keep us posted how you make out, or even maybe ask advice if it comes down to a choice between offers.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

As long as you are professional about it I don't think it would hurt answering the question honestly.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

I agree. I like being forthright and honest. I don't think mentioning names would be a big deal. It allows recruiters an understanding of what your looking at in terms of the type of school, region and package offered. It may assist the recruiter in highlighting why there school is a good fit for you. I think if the recruiter is interested they'd like to know what the competition is. Just like a GM in sports making a bid for a free agent player.