Southeast asia schools - frustrated

ahisc10

Southeast asia schools - frustrated

Post by ahisc10 »

Have I done the wrong thing by not going to a job fair this year? My school term started at the beginning of Jan and I wasn't able to go and instead have applied directly to schools.

I am wanting a position in Asia and have applied for schools in Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand and China. Most of these schools had deadlines at the end of Jan. Should I have heard anything by now?

I have 6 years teaching experience, 3 at IS (one only - private Japanese school with MYP/DP Program). I have had 3 years experience teaching DP Chem (SL and HL) as well as MYP Science and Math. I have also taught first year university chemistry whilst in my first teaching position in Australia, along with Biology.

I am single, female and have a degree in science (Biochem and Genetics) as well as a degree in education. I have presented at national science conferences and collaborated with two major Australian univerisities on education programs. I have experience with ESL and SN.

Should I be concerned? It is so frustrating waiting and not being sure of the future. I have applied to 16 schools (all at least tier one/two), is it a turnoff that I won't be at a job fair?
PsyGuy

Kind off

Post by PsyGuy »

Ok two DIFFERENT issues. First your more then qualified, thats not the issue. The issue is that this year schools want to interview, which means they are going to wait and see how the fair goes before making decisions.

A few issues to consider. First your more then amply qualified and competitive, but so is everyone else. A lot of candidates see the job search as competition. They go into it "armed" with years of experience, certifications, degrees, publications, conferences, etc. And they attach the recruiter with these things with the intent of over whelming the recruiter so that they give up, admit defeat, and offer you a contract. The reality is most recruiters are more interested in what kind of an employee you would be more then how "great" a teacher you are. Its hard to impress upon someone those qualities in a resume.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

I have to agree with Psyguy, I applied to a number of schools prior to the BKK fair and was meet with lukewarm interest. Some schools even told me I didn't have that great an opportunity with them. However, once they met me they came to realize how strong a candidate I was. All of the schools I interviewed with gave me offers. Even the one that had suggested I didn't have a strong chance.

I think fairs help people persons, and hopefully as a teacher you'd be good with people. Recruiters/heads want to see personalities not solely credentials.

I do think your very qualified and its likely the dust needs to settle on the big fairs. Right now most recruiters are busy with the January/February season. At this point they aren't really looking for email hiring because they are seeing tons of candidates face to face.
In the end you are in a generally high needs position and have great qualifications. Its just going to take time.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Southeast asia schools - frustrated

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="ahisc10"]Have I done the wrong thing by not going to a job fair this year? My school term started at the beginning of Jan and I wasn't able to go and instead have applied directly to schools.

I am wanting a position in Asia and have applied for schools in Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand and China. Most of these schools had deadlines at the end of Jan. Should I have heard anything by now?

I have 6 years teaching experience, 3 at IS (one only - private Japanese school with MYP/DP Program). I have had 3 years experience teaching DP Chem (SL and HL) as well as MYP Science and Math. I have also taught first year university chemistry whilst in my first teaching position in Australia, along with Biology.

I am single, female and have a degree in science (Biochem and Genetics) as well as a degree in education. I have presented at national science conferences and collaborated with two major Australian univerisities on education programs. I have experience with ESL and SN.

Should I be concerned? It is so frustrating waiting and not being sure of the future. I have applied to 16 schools (all at least tier one/two), is it a turnoff that I won't be at a job fair?[/quote]

If one of those schools in HK was ESF, they just started contacting people yesterday to schedule appointments for secondary positions. So if you made the short list, you should hear something very soon (if not ESF, then please disregard).
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

wrldtrvlr123, any idea when ESF interviews are happening? Wondering how long to wait before giving up hope.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="stellalocal"]wrldtrvlr123, any idea when ESF interviews are happening? Wondering how long to wait before giving up hope.[/quote]

Hi. Interviews are going on right now and for the next 2 weeks. They expect to begin offering positions by the 15th or so.

If you haven't heard that you made the short list by now it's not great news, BUT, you never know. I know people that were invited to interview very late in ESF's recruitment season. It's not over until they send you a notice that all positions have been filled and you weren't one of the lucky ones.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Thanks for the info wrldtrvlr.