So it's cold in Iowa...

davey

So it's cold in Iowa...

Post by davey »

So I am in the midst of packing for my flight to Iowa tomorrow, and I know it's pretty chilly there at the moment (we're currently having a bizarre warm spell here at the cusp of the midwest and the south right now). Obviously I'll need a coat, but what do you DO with it while you're, say, waiting in line to schedule interview times? I am trying to figure out which jacket to bring and how heavy it needs to be, etc.

Thoughts?
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Bring something warm. I've heard its pretty darn blustery in Iowa. I've never been but I have been to TORF at Queens in Kingston (also cold) and they set up coat racks for candidates to hang their coats.
davey

Post by davey »

[quote="gr8teach"]Bring something warm. I've heard its pretty darn blustery in Iowa. I've never been but I have been to TORF at Queens in Kingston (also cold) and they set up coat racks for candidates to hang their coats.[/quote]

I was hoping there'd be something like that - let's hope UNI has their own coatracks. Thanks.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I've been to Iowa twice and it was hell for me (I'm from So. Cal).

The conference center is also extremely cold even though it's obviously inside.

They have coat racks where you can hang your coat while your in lines for the sign-ups.

I really liked my experience at UNI (not so good at Search). The UNI people are so nice and accommodating (Search = not so nice and slightly militant).

GOOD LUCK!
davey

Post by davey »

[quote="liketotravel"]
They have coat racks where you can hang your coat while your in lines for the sign-ups.

I really liked my experience at UNI (not so good at Search). The UNI people are so nice and accommodating (Search = not so nice and slightly militant).

GOOD LUCK![/quote]

Glad to read about the coat racks at UNI. I'm originally from New England, so I'm not TOO worried about the weather. What you said about UNI is exactly why I picked it - so many people concurred on that point that I knew it would be the best choice for me. My one quibble so far: seriously, putting me on a 10:30am shuttle on Sunday back to the airport when my flight is not until 4pm is ridiculous.

I'm starting to feel very positive about it. I've been emailing with a couple people already in reference to the cover letters and CVs I sent out, so I think it's going to go well. *knocks on wood* Thanks for the well wishes.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Yeah I think Iowa is underrated. I found my first international school there and I was happy with my starter school.

My second trip there was a nightmare, but the staff at UNI really stepped up. I was bumped from my flight in Chicago the night before the fair and had to take a flight at in the morning (of course I checked all my bags in). I got to the fair an hour late, but the staff forwarded my bags to the hotel and a driver was waiting for me at the Cedar Rapids airport. By the time I got to the round robin there was nothing left. My employer at the time was there and she was able to secure two interviews for me. I ended up going to a place I never would of picked and it all worked out.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I went last year. There are huge coat racks at every entrance. The weather SUCKED to say the least, it never came close to above freezing and my flights in and out of Cedar Rapids were both delayed (missed a connection on the way out). The staff are nice, but there were too many dodgy schools and ESL-type schools in my opinion. Good schools are there too, you'll notice them from the massive lines at signup and the giant stacks of resumes...

UNI was an ok experience overall, but I prefer the Search fairs.