Do I need to be in a contract to get a job offer?

flyingrob31

Do I need to be in a contract to get a job offer?

Post by flyingrob31 »

I am new to the international teaching scene. I am currently in a contract in a high school that ends in June. I could sign a new contract but I am considering taking a year off from teaching (for personal reasons) and then starting my international job search in November 2012 for a job start in August 2013.

My question is: Will not being currently employed as a teacher reduce my chances of getting offers from schools abroad? Will schools wonder why I am not employed as a teacher at the time of interviewing?

Facts about me:
California Single Subject Credentials in Physics and GeoScience.
15 consecutive years of teaching Physics and AP Calculus.
Single Male with no dependents.

Also, will schools abroad let me teach full time math without a math credential? My AP Calculus results have been above 90% every year for 15 years but I do not have a formal math credential.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I doubt it would matter, at least it didn't matter for me.

I feel in love with one of the countries I worked in and I took a year off and traveled, drank rum and cokes, went to the beach and wrote a book that sold like 100 copies.

I just told my current boss what I did and he told me he was jealous.

I also have taught three different subjects internationally out of my subject matter. I have a Clear California Multiple Subject. If you have a credential and the experience you should be alright to teach whatever at most schools.
PsyGuy

Not really

Post by PsyGuy »

You might be able to teach math without a credential. It happens, but I wouldnt count on it. Math and physics are hard to fill, but its more a regulatory and accreditation issue then anything else.

A year off wont bother anyone. I did the same thing, and it wasnt a problem for me at all. Just be upfront about it.
SciGuy

Post by SciGuy »

Related to the math credential issue, why not just add a math credential? If you already hold a credential in one subject area, it can just be a matter of passing a content knowledge test and sending in the application & fees. Different states have different rules though. PsyGuy has said in other posts that he is credentialed in several areas, so he might have even more details about how that would work. Additionally, if it were a problem to add math in CA, you might even try looking at other states' requirements and do it there.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Since your credentials from Cali, you can just take the Praxis II test for math, and then add the credential. Sounds like it wouldn't really be hard for you.
flyingrob31

Post by flyingrob31 »

Thanks for the responses, it looks like I will be enjoying a year off without too much worry...