Mexico vs. Cuba

MMDavidson

Mexico vs. Cuba

Post by MMDavidson »

Currently living in the UK but have applied to Cuba and Mexico City. Have interviewed at a Mexican school, but am still hoping to hear from Cuba because they initially showed interest. I have two issues to contend with:

1. Am a bit worried that the salary package offered will not cover the repayment of my student loans / life in Mexico. I should hear back from the school within the next couple of days ...

2. Have indicated, politely, that I am entertaining offers to other schools but am still waiting for Cuba.

Really, where is the safest place for a young, Canadian woman? My parents are worried for my safety. I'm worried about money!
PsyGuy

Between

Post by PsyGuy »

Well if its between Cuba and mexico for safety. Cuba is an island and is EXTREMELY safe, for the average person. Depending on where you are in mexico, there is a defacto drug was going on, and could in fat be outright dangerous.

Id love teaching in Cuba, if it wasnt for the fact im a US citizen, and that would be at least in the eyes of Treasury, State and FINCEN, "Bad".
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

In Latin America there is always an element of risk, but it seems to be the luck of the draw. I lived in CA and SA for five years and never had a problem (but, I'm ugly and scary looking), but others have walked off the plane and gotten robbed the first few days.

Psy is right, Cuba for sure would be much less of a risk. That would be an interesting post.

Mexico City would be a blast, but you would have to be on your toes.