American Overseas School Rome

davey

American Overseas School Rome

Post by davey »

Anyone have some more detail about this school? There's only one school review and one director review. Both mention they aren't big fans of the director (she's a micromanager), but it's certainly not awful either, and I would LOVE to live in Rome. But I also don't want the fact that it's in Rome to totally blind me to all other aspects of the job.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!
PsyGuy

Posted from other topic

Post by PsyGuy »

Is Rome worth it TO ME, yeah it was worth it. Id have stayed another year if the admin opportunity Im in now didnt come up (and there was an issue of a 22 year old italian girlfriend, who broke my heart). Id go back too.
Is it financially worth it, no. You go for two years and you break even (if your lucky). Is it worth it to make a career, no. Unless you like the idea of living pay check to pay check in perpetuity. Is it easy to fall in love with the place, the people, the culture, the food, and just outright "fall in love", and not care about the money, yes, without a doubt. Living in Rome is like being in love with a beautiful woman, you know its not going to end well, and your going to burn through your peak earning years, and your brain is screaming "YOUR STUPID" but your heart or soul dont care, because they measure "value" and "worth" in a completely different type of currency....

AFS, is like a prime time teen angst drama. Everyone pretty much finds the gossip, scandal, and politics entertaining. Does that make the work environment stressful, yes, and their are management, and coworker problems/issues that go well and beyond any IS, BUT you have to put it in context. This is a country where until recently, the national past time was gossiping about the prime ministers sordid love life, and italian culture is quit proud of that.

Let me put it to you this way, at AFS someone who shouldnt been was having a very inappropriate relationship with a married someone who worked under them that they shouldnt have, and thats just par for the course, and we wont even get started on the student/teacher relationship dynamics, and i could right a book with all the financial mismanagement issues. Half of all of it isnt true of course, the problem is figuring out which half, and if you havent figured out who the sucker in all that drama while your just trying to work, then you very well might be the one thats the sucker. If all this hasnt made your head hurt, or make you think that none of the adults grew out of high school, then you might just be fine.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Re: Posted from other topic

Post by davey »

[quote="PsyGuy"]
Is it financially worth it, no. You go for two years and you break even (if your lucky). Is it worth it to make a career, no. Unless you like the idea of living pay check to pay check in perpetuity. Is it easy to fall in love with the place, the people, the culture, the food, and just outright "fall in love", and not care about the money, yes, without a doubt. [/quote]

See, and what I care about at this point isn't the money. I am not ready to settle down yet, and I really would love love love to spend two years in Rome, even if that's all it is.

[quote="PsyGuy"]
OFS, is like a prime time teen angst drama. Everyone pretty much finds the gossip, scandal, and politics entertaining. Does that make the work environment stressful, yes, and their are management, and coworker problems/issues that go well and beyond any IS, BUT you have to put it in context. This is a country where until recently, the national past time was gossiping about the prime ministers sordid love life, and italian culture is quit proud of that.[/quote]

OFS? I thought the American Overseas School was referred to as AOSR. Anyway, I am, however, quite familiar with lots of gossip and craziness at my current school. A common refrain is that middle school teachers haven't grown out of middle school.

My one big question would be about you referencing student/teacher dynamics, as that is an issue I know I will care about. What did you mean when you said "we wont even get started on the student/teacher relationship dynamics"? If there's big issues there, that is of concern to me.

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

Sorry my iPad likes to think it can predict what i type better then I can just type it (there was a post about OFS in Singapore, and since then my iPad thinks thats what I want to type).

It means exactly what you think it means. Again, you never know how much of anything is true, exaggerated, but there was a lot more talk about it in Italy then anywhere else I had been (well maybe tied with Thailand).

If your just looking for the experience then Rome is certainly worth it, and if you handle "drama" well, you should be find. The biggest depressing part of living in Rome is you never have enough money to do all the things you want to be doing, at least that was my biggest regret.
davey

Re: Sorry

Post by davey »

[quote="PsyGuy"]
It means exactly what you think it means. Again, you never know how much of anything is true, exaggerated, but there was a lot more talk about it in Italy then anywhere else I had been (well maybe tied with Thailand). [/quote]

Ew - that is all kinds of disturbing. I'm certified for middle school, so hopefully I'd be a bit more isolated from all that mess.

As for the experience, I'd love to also be at a school that is a real quality one, but I just can't help thinking it would be immensely stupid to pass up on a chance to spend two years in Rome. Granted, I haven't had the skype interview yet, but if it goes well, that's what I'd be thinking. Plus, as I currently teach in a title I, low-income, inner-city school that only escaped being audited this year by a big enough change in our population, I have a feeling that almost any international school - despite its foibles - is going to be far better.
overseasvet2

Rome school

Post by overseasvet2 »

Interesting that the director would be a micromanager. She has no training as an educator; she got into education through family connections. She does have an advanced degree in "school management" - not sure what that means.

When a parent complained a child was not in the yearbook, she made the creator go through and tick off that every child in the school was in a candid photo.

I worked with her for a short while and would never do so again. I have no respect for her ...perhaps she's changed over the years.
davey

Re: Rome school

Post by davey »

[quote="overseasvet2"]Interesting that the director would be a micromanager. She has no training as an educator; she got into education through family connections. She does have an advanced degree in "school management" - not sure what that means.

When a parent complained a child was not in the yearbook, she made the creator go through and tick off that every child in the school was in a candid photo.

I worked with her for a short while and would never do so again. I have no respect for her ...perhaps she's changed over the years.[/quote]

Hmmmm. You've definitely given me a lot to think about there, so thank you for the info. Presumably this was at the same school? If so, any other impressions of the place?

Of course, I have a pretty high tolerance for ridiculousness after six years in my school district (science director for district: "no, you have to teach every part of every investigation in every module, in order, just like it says!" Me (thinking): "Um, you do realize that's since that's three semesters of material to teach in two semesters, we actually can't do that?"), so your anecdote is not out of the norm for my current reality.
PsyGuy

Oh OK

Post by PsyGuy »

You should be more insulated in middle school, a lot of the "naughty" stuff involves the high school. In the middle school its the parents you have to worry about, they are crazy, bat $h!t psycho, type A+ nut jobs.

The head is sociopath, management who has to have her nose and finger in everything, but I assumed you read the review section and already knew that. Many people that leave for personal reasons, say she was the reason.

Anyway all the schools about 6 of them are on in the same area, and on friday afternoons after school we would end up at the same cafes, that and a lot of us were in the same temp housing which is how we would know each other. AOFS does tend to pay higher then the others, it didnt really matter though, you really couldnt make enough to do all the things you wanted.
davey

Re: Oh OK

Post by davey »

[quote="PsyGuy"]You should be more insulated in middle school, a lot of the "naughty" stuff involves the high school. In the middle school its the parents you have to worry about, they are crazy, bat $h!t psycho, type A+ nut jobs.

The head is sociopath, management who has to have her nose and finger in everything, but I assumed you read the review section and already knew that. Many people that leave for personal reasons, say she was the reason.

Anyway all the schools about 6 of them are on in the same area, and on friday afternoons after school we would end up at the same cafes, that and a lot of us were in the same temp housing which is how we would know each other. AOFS does tend to pay higher then the others, it didnt really matter though, you really couldnt make enough to do all the things you wanted.[/quote]

Thanks for the info about the parents.

As for the head, there's only school review and one director review in the review section, so I wasn't sure if I was really getting the whole, accurate picture. Hence me making this post in the first place to see if anyone else had some info. Different people = different perspectives, y'know?

Re: money. So you're not really making enough to travel much? Or at all? Just the day to day expenses taking up everything? As it's in Europe, the school doesn't do housing, right? Or does it, and that's why you all end up in the same housing?

Thanks.
PsyGuy

Money

Post by PsyGuy »

You make about 2500€ a month. You dont get housing. Housing in Rome for a one bedroom is between 1000€ and 1500€. Utilities run another 200€. That leaves 800€-1000€ left for EVERYTHING ELSE. Its never enough money. I got to see Rome but never had the money to see the rest of Italy. When I left i had like just under 1000€. At the end of any one month Id have less then a 100€. The way they do the temp housing is you get like a months salary (about 3000€) for relocation expenses, you have to buy your airplane ticket, and then you find a place to live, and most school recommend this line of short term apartments (and you get a good rate), so not knowing anything else, most people just go with the schools recommendation.
davey

Re: Money

Post by davey »

[quote="PsyGuy"]You make about 2500€ a month. You dont get housing. Housing in Rome for a one bedroom is between 1000€ and 1500€. Utilities run another 200€. That leaves 800€-1000€ left for EVERYTHING ELSE. Its never enough money. I got to see Rome but never had the money to see the rest of Italy. When I left i had like just under 1000€. At the end of any one month Id have less then a 100€. The way they do the temp housing is you get like a months salary (about 3000€) for relocation expenses, you have to buy your airplane ticket, and then you find a place to live, and most school recommend this line of short term apartments (and you get a good rate), so not knowing anything else, most people just go with the schools recommendation.[/quote]

Ah, okay, thanks for the details. So, basically, if I want to travel around Italy/Europe I'd need to use my savings. Thankfully, I don't have any debt, and my college loans are canceled out, so I could definitely swing it. It's just a matter of whether I'd want to deal with all the aggravation of the helicopter parents and the head, and if I think being in Rome would be worth the potential hassle. Though, honestly, if the kids aren't behavior problems, day-to-day school life would be far and away better than the inner-city school where I teach now.
PsyGuy

Relevant

Post by PsyGuy »

The kids are a little on the entitled spoiled side (but thats not unusual), but its not really a relevant comparison. Just about ANY international school ANYWHERE is going to be better then a nearly failing, title one, inner city, public school in the States.