Resume

centennial95

Resume

Post by centennial95 »

Being new to this whole international job search, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some resume/ cover letter advice. For example, to most schools in the US it doesn't really matter that I am married with 2 kids, but I guess it matters to some international schools that I have a trailing spouse... Do I address that in my cover letter at all? Just looking for some general do's and don'ts'....
Thanks a bunch....
aphid

Post by aphid »

It really depends on the school and finding out in advance might be helpful.

Some International schools are quite happy to employ a teacher with non-teaching spouse and children. However, some prefer a teaching couple because it is more cost effective for them. Of course, non-married couples is a sensitive issue in many middle eastern countries. Some offer free places for all children, some limit the number to two, some only offer a discounted package.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

As a teacher with a trailing spouse I don't mention it in my cover letter. My cover letter and CV are about me professionally. For me, that part is all about what I do and how I can help the school. Once I'm granted an interview then I'll discuss my spouse. Even then that's an end of interview question. The beginning of the interview is all business.

My advice to you would be to register with Search or another agency that provides information stating which schools support teachers with dependents. Then mull over the option of which places work best for you and your family.

I'll tell you now, schools in the Middle East and China are generally supportive of trailing families. Also Japan and HK spouses get automatic work visas, which is great for your partner.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Resume

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="centennial95"]Being new to this whole international job search, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some resume/ cover letter advice. For example, to most schools in the US it doesn't really matter that I am married with 2 kids, but I guess it matters to some international schools that I have a trailing spouse... Do I address that in my cover letter at all? Just looking for some general do's and don'ts'....
Thanks a bunch....[/quote]

I would say (based on reading forums and talking to school heads/recruiters), most schools would prefer that dependents, marital status, nationality, DOB etc are on your CV and I always include this.

Yes, this may get you passed over for some schools, but it may also save you some time and disappointment. Some people would prefer to get their foot in the door by way of an interview and then broach the subject. This can work at times, or it can backfire as some school heads do not like surprises or complications at interview.

It's not always clear which way is best, or if you should tailor your approach depending on the school.