contact me during interview sign up

vaellteacher

contact me during interview sign up

Post by vaellteacher »

:?
Last edited by vaellteacher on Sun May 06, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Not really.

Post by PsyGuy »

You basically stand in line to audition (about 30 seconds hoping to get an interview slot (there are so many candidates they cant sit down for half an hour with EVERYONE). So if you get an interview slip in your box when your there. It basically means they already want to interview you, and you skip the line, and go right to the front and sign up for an actual interview slot.
sid

Post by sid »

As someone who's stood on both sides of the table, sorry, no line skipping.
What the paper means is they'd almost certainly like to interview you. Get in line, show the paper, and you'll probably be signed up for an interview slot without much further discussion. The people in line without a paper will be discussing the basics of who they are/what they offer before they're allowed an interview slot.
Sometimes, though, they do want to check in with you about something before they interview (to clarify a key point on a CV, ask a question about a trailing spouse, tell you something unique about the position to make sure you'd still be interested, who know), so be prepared. It shouldn't be anything hard, and if you're all still happy, you'll then be signed up for an interview.

I've waited in my fair share of those lines, and I can guarantee you won't make any friends by cutting the line. Nor will you impress the recruiter if you piss off the other candidates.

But if it's a bigger school, with a team of recruiters, you might find that one recruiter stays behind the table to handle the line, while another one works the line/the room looking for the people they've already shortlisted. So make sure your paper is easily visible so the recruiter can spot you and pull you forward.

Good luck.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

I have to disagree with you sid, and ive been on both sides of the table, my experience has been that if you have a slip you skip the line. Recruiters only have so many spots, and with everyones schedules, they want to make sure the people they WANT to interview get interviewed, and preferably sooner rather then later. Its good time management and organization to prioritize your schedule and time.

lastly, the fair isnt a place to make friends, its to find a job.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="sid"]As someone who's stood on both sides of the table, sorry, no line skipping.
What the paper means is they'd almost certainly like to interview you. Get in line, show the paper, and you'll probably be signed up for an interview slot without much further discussion. The people in line without a paper will be discussing the basics of who they are/what they offer before they're allowed an interview slot.
Sometimes, though, they do want to check in with you about something before they interview (to clarify a key point on a CV, ask a question about a trailing spouse, tell you something unique about the position to make sure you'd still be interested, who know), so be prepared. It shouldn't be anything hard, and if you're all still happy, you'll then be signed up for an interview.

I've waited in my fair share of those lines, and I can guarantee you won't make any friends by cutting the line. Nor will you impress the recruiter if you piss off the other candidates.

But if it's a bigger school, with a team of recruiters, you might find that one recruiter stays behind the table to handle the line, while another one works the line/the room looking for the people they've already shortlisted. So make sure your paper is easily visible so the recruiter can spot you and pull you forward.

Good luck.[/quote]

Can't speak for ISS, but at Search, they specifically tell you that if the school has sent you a green (at that fair) slip requesting you to sign up for an interview slot, you should skip the line.
sid

Post by sid »

Sounds like I stand corrected, at least at Search.
Can I still recommend you skip the line humbly? A sprinkling of 'excuse me' and 'I think you wanted to see me' would never go amiss, would probably ease tensions in the line, and I personally would appreciate it. You may not be there to make friends, but as a recruiter if I see you sowing discontent, it would make me wonder...
Or is my credibility shot?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="sid"]Sounds like I stand corrected, at least at Search.
Can I still recommend you skip the line humbly? A sprinkling of 'excuse me' and 'I think you wanted to see me' would never go amiss, would probably ease tensions in the line, and I personally would appreciate it. You may not be there to make friends, but as a recruiter if I see you sowing discontent, it would make me wonder...
Or is my credibility shot?[/quote]

Not with me. I too thought it a bit odd and awkward and have both had the golden ticket and watched as someone else did (depending on the school). And yes, a heartfelt excuse me please and empathetic look goes a long way in most any potentially awkward scenario.
PsyGuy

Your good

Post by PsyGuy »

Your good Sid, for what its worth ISS is different, smaller and a bit more intimate then Search. There is also less differentiation among candidates.

Good manners, courtesy and respect are never wasted. While efficiency is the order of the day someone being an elitist snob, about "skipping the line" would get my notice and not the good kind. "Excuse me, Pleases, Thank you's and Sorry's" go a LONG way.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

What about at the UNI Fair?
figure8

Re: contact me during interview sign up

Post by figure8 »

[quote="vaellteacher"]What does it mean when a school emails you and says "contact me during interview sign up". So from what I am understanding, (this is the ISS fair) the first day you are at the hotel this is no interviewing and you look at school sessions? And you get a folder with interview request (hopefully) in it. If there are not any or you want to interview with a school you put your name at their table and request an interview? and then come back the next day and stand in a line to sell yourself? Thank you.[/quote]

If you receive an email from the school saying 'come see me at sign up' it's the same as receiving a note in your file at the actual fair. The Search organizers were very clear on this in London. The email is the same as the slip, so print it off if you are worried about being legit and skip the line. Search even said it doesn't matter if you have the email with you or not. They are not policing sign up sessions, just assuming you are being honest. You are not being rude either. You are saving yourself and the school time.
vaellteacher

Many Thanks

Post by vaellteacher »

:?
Last edited by vaellteacher on Sun May 06, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
fke

Post by fke »

Honestly, I always waited in the line even when I received a slip. The exception may be if the line is very long...
lmnop

Post by lmnop »

In the fair that I went to, it was clearly specified in advance that people who have invitation cards must bypass the line. It only makes sense for the recruiters.