Marymount International School Rome

2012teacher

Marymount International School Rome

Post by 2012teacher »

Hello,

Does anyone have any information on Marymount International School in Rome? I have an interview with them soon and I am curious about the salary. The information in the job posting said that there is a resettlement subsidy and a relocation subsidy. I'm sure they do not provide housing, but I was wondering if the salary would be enough to live comfortably. I have a non-teaching spouse, would we be able to survive on one salary? I hear it is a great school and living in Italy has always been my dream!!!

Thanks in advance for any information!
PsyGuy

Not really

Post by PsyGuy »

They are OK.... Heard a lot about them when I was in Italy/Rome last year. The salary is around €32K, and you get €3K relocation. No housing. Taxes average 10% over your first two years, then jump up to 40%. You could live off it, but lot well, and you cant really save. Rent are high in Rome, the verification, and apostile process can be a nightmare. The building is kind of run down and old, classrooms are small, and the network and infrastructure doesnt work well. If your going to live in Rome, then it doesnt really matter.
2012teacher

Post by 2012teacher »

Thank you for your response. Does the pay do up with experience? I have ten years of experience with a Masters degree. I also have an Ed.S, but I'm not sure if countries outside of the US recognize an Ed.S. I'm also working on my doctorate (all but dissertation, which is halfway done).

Do they also pay for flights or is that considered relocation?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Flights are factored into your relocation its 3000€ you pay for your flight out of it too. Basically you find a one way for under $1000, and then move into temporary housing when you get there. A lot of people used vatican recreation apartments (www.rentalinrome.com). The school doesnt make you arrive so many days or weeks before school starts. But you want to get out of temporary housing VERY quickly its VERY expensive. You have to "balance" your air departure date with your days in the temp housing, or else you will eat away at all your relocation allowance.

An advance degree is worth an extra 1,300€ a year So add 32,000€ to 1,300€ and your looking at around 33,300€ a year. They cap experience at around 5 years. Thats why the €30K-€32K, each year is something like 500€, most people leave after 2 years the taxes will kill you. In case your wondering thats about 2,500€ a month after taxes. Rent and utilities will run you 1000€-1,500€ a month. Add transportation (metro card), mobile phone (and WiFi if you eventually end up in a building without the wiring for ADSL), food, and you will be lucky if you have a hundred euros leftover at the end of the month.

I dont know if hes there anymore but one of the principals a guy named Kennedy was complete sociopath. Hed be your best friend and then just turn on you.
2012teacher

Re: Response

Post by 2012teacher »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Flights are factored into your relocation its 3000€ you pay for your flight out of it too. Basically you find a one way for under $1000, and then move into temporary housing when you get there. A lot of people used vatican recreation apartments (www.rentalinrome.com). The school doesnt make you arrive so many days or weeks before school starts. But you want to get out of temporary housing VERY quickly its VERY expensive. You have to "balance" your air departure date with your days in the temp housing, or else you will eat away at all your relocation allowance.

An advance degree is worth an extra 1,300€ a year So add 32,000€ to 1,300€ and your looking at around 33,300€ a year. They cap experience at around 5 years. Thats why the €30K-€32K, each year is something like 500€, most people leave after 2 years the taxes will kill you. In case your wondering thats about 2,500€ a month after taxes. Rent and utilities will run you 1000€-1,500€ a month. Add transportation (metro card), mobile phone (and WiFi if you eventually end up in a building without the wiring for ADSL), food, and you will be lucky if you have a hundred euros leftover at the end of the month.

I dont know if hes there anymore but one of the principals a guy named Kennedy was complete sociopath. Hed be your best friend and then just turn on you.[/quote]

Okay, so it looks like this wouldn't be a viable option for someone with a non-teaching spouse. :( I'm looking for a "just right fit" for my first international teaching assignment, but I do not want to struggle. I struggle enough in the US, so it doesn't make sense to move into the same situation.

What school did you work at in Italy?
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

You might want to stay out of Europe in general then if you want to avoid financial struggles.

No offense but I like to keep my anonymity, so I avoid dropping names on forums. All the schools (about 6) are located in the same area, we use to always run into each other on friday afternoons in the same cafes.