recruitment question

qwerty

recruitment question

Post by qwerty »

Hello

would like to say that this forum is a great source of info. Well done to those providing all the insight. I am a teacher with 10 years of experience (6 as Head of department) teaching ICT and Business. I have worked in the state and independent sector (UK-both schools high achieving). I am also married with two young kids and my wife, although she has was in schools as support staff (LSA/Library) she is not a teacher.

I have applied to six or so places but have not heard anything back. Is it not likely that I will be offered something because of my status, or is it the norm that I have to apply to dozen places before I get concrete responses?

I will also be attending the April London search event although it might be a bit late for me, as I need to give a term's notice to my current school.

Any advice would be more than appreciated.
PsyGuy

Where

Post by PsyGuy »

Where have you been applying to?

Typically, schools like to sign the cream of the crop teachers BEFORE the job fairs. So maybe the top 1%-5% get contacted right away. Everyone else usually doesnt get anything until the job fair. Then about a month afterwords is when the leftovers get picked over. Thats when the leftover tier 2 schools and third tier schools pick up the leftovers who didnt get their dream locations or first picks.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: recruitment question

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="qwerty"]Hello

would like to say that this forum is a great source of info. Well done to those providing all the insight. I am a teacher with 10 years of experience (6 as Head of department) teaching ICT and Business. I have worked in the state and independent sector (UK-both schools high achieving). I am also married with two young kids and my wife, although she has was in schools as support staff (LSA/Library) she is not a teacher.

I have applied to six or so places but have not heard anything back. Is it not likely that I will be offered something because of my status, or is it the norm that I have to apply to dozen places before I get concrete responses?

I will also be attending the April London search event although it might be a bit late for me, as I need to give a term's notice to my current school.

Any advice would be more than appreciated.[/quote]

Hi. Many (most!) int'l schools are notoriously bad about getting back to applicants unless you are too good to pass up or just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Are you applying to mainly/all British int'l schools? Are you applying for definite announced openings? What countries are you most interested in?
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Thanks PsyGuy for your response.

I am not really focusing on just one place but as I have a family, one of my key objectives is to have good quality of life (something I am really starting to miss in the UK). I think the emirates might be a bit too hot for us, whereas Thailand might be just the right place to go.
qwerty

Re: recruitment question

Post by qwerty »

[quote="wrldtrvlr123"][quote="qwerty"]Hello

would like to say that this forum is a great source of info. Well done to those providing all the insight. I am a teacher with 10 years of experience (6 as Head of department) teaching ICT and Business. I have worked in the state and independent sector (UK-both schools high achieving). I am also married with two young kids and my wife, although she has worked in a school as support staff (LSA/Library) she is not a teacher.

Any advice would be more than appreciated.[/quote]

Hi. Many (most!) int'l schools are notoriously bad about getting back to applicants unless you are too good to pass up or just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Are you applying to mainly/all British int'l schools? Are you applying for definite announced openings? What countries are you most interested in?[/quote]

Hi wrldtrvlr123

I am a not bothered about the type of curriculum, although I have not got IB experience (my background is GCSEs and A levels). All applications that I have sent were on specific openings (I really tried to match my CV and letter/application to fit the school/country/job).

We are currently looking for openings in Thailand, Switzerland, Malaysia, and Singapore.
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

Switzerland is notoriously hard to get into, and youd starve on one salary with a family of 4.

Are you only applying to the top "elite" schools?
qwerty

Re: Humm

Post by qwerty »

[quote="PsyGuy"]

Are you only applying to the top "elite" schools?[/quote]

Not necessarily. I am not bothered if I don't continue my career in a top school. I am really looking to improve quality of life. I am currently doing too many hours and stressing too much about results.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="qwerty"][quote="PsyGuy"]

Are you only applying to the top "elite" schools?[/quote]

Not necessarily. I am not bothered if I don't continue my career in a top school. I am really looking to improve quality of life. I am currently doing too many hours and stressing too much about results.[/quote]

Well, if a school has an opening in your area, you certainly sound well positioned. Perhaps you are just running into the lull between/before fairs.
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

[quote="wrldtrvlr123"][quote="qwerty"][quote="PsyGuy"]

. I am not bothered if I don't continue my career in a top school. I am really looking to improve quality of life. I am currently doing too many hours and stressing too much about results.[/quote]

Well, if a school has an opening in your area, you certainly sound well positioned. Perhaps you are just running into the lull between/before fairs.[/quote]

On a similar topic, would anyone please recommend type of school (or specific school even) where teaching/extra curricular demands are reasonable? Having looked at the Emirates again, the weather would not bother us as much. I know it sounds like I want to be 'coasting' but I value quality time with my family greatly. Emirates and Asia are the main areas that we are looking at the moment. Thanks.