Where are the countries most in demand?

emilysue1212

Where are the countries most in demand?

Post by emilysue1212 »

This will probably sound dumb, but my fiance and I are attending the UNI fair and the advice we've heard from everyone is "be flexible" about where you go. We're both fairly inexperienced teachers (especially the fiance--he's only got student teaching experience and a year at a hagwon in Korea--so basically, no experience) and recognize that we can't be picky.

My question, however, is what are the countries most in demand? Our top choice of places to live is anywhere in South or Central America. We want to learn Spanish! Not just top tier schools, of course, but a a lower-level school where we can get our feet in the door. And not just "safe" countries--Colombia, El Salvador, and Honduras are high on our list of places we'd like to live.

So--for someone who is new to the international teaching scene--where are the areas of the world most in demand? Where is the competition the fiercest? I'm guessing Eastern and Western Europe, but I really don't know..
emilysue1212

Our experience--

Post by emilysue1212 »

If it will help to better understand our situation, here are our stats:

Me:
Certified in secondary English/Lang. Arts
MA in Communication Studies
1 year at a High School in Colorado--experience teaching AP English
1 year at a hagwon in Busan, South Korea
3 years teaching Public Speaking at the university level

Him:
Certified in secondary English/Lang. Arts
Student teaching at 9-10th grade level
1 year at a hagwon in Busan, South Korea
Working on a secondary endorsement in Industrial Arts (tech. ed)--will be completed this summer
yeshko

Post by yeshko »

I think you are right on Europe. Japan and some schools in Southeast Asia (China, Thailand, Malaysia) are also in high demand. At the fair, long lines in front of some schools will be a good indicator.
Good luck.
emilysue1212

Thanks!

Post by emilysue1212 »

Great! Thanks for your help! :)
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Latin America can be a very rewarding place to live and teach. I loved my time in both Central and Latin America. If your interested in going to Honduras I would be weary of going to San Pedro Sula (EIS). La Ceiba (Mazapan) can be an interesting place with mountains, beaches, islands and rivers at your doorstep. The school is great, but the town is a little shady, but bearable. Colombia is an amazing place especially if you're looking to learn Spanish. The people are very warm and it's very easy to build local relationships. I would for sure avoid Colegio Albania, unless you want to live on a coal mine in the middle of sticksville.

I work in Asia now and make great money and live in a school that is very demanding, but very professionally rewarding. I think of Latin American everyday and ponder if I ever would make the move back.
PsyGuy

Highest Demand

Post by PsyGuy »

The three "little tigers" (Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore) are the hardest in Asia to get into, but every region has its "elite" schools that have fierce competition.

Most of the "vacation" countries of Western Europe (France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, Greece, etc) are extremely picky, and get close to a 1000 applicants per vacancy. Eastern europe is hard as well, simply because the number of International schools is smaller (Theres about 14 in all of eastern europe).

The entry level places are mostly in the Middle East, Africa, India, South and Central America, and the "Big Tigers" in Asia (China, Thailand, Taiwan, S.Korea).