Bhutan

PsyGuy

Bhutan

Post by PsyGuy »

Does anyone have any experience or insight on an IS or education system in Bhutan?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

I'm by no means an expert, but I did some research about two years ago while considering a job at a university there.

From what I understand, they're very protective of their natural resources, and therefore careful about admitting foreigners. Tourists can only enter and move around the country with a tour guide, and tourist visas are issued for exactly the length of a pre-paid tour (usually 2 weeks). Tour fees are set by the royal government.

The "skilled worker" visa (I'm assuming most teachers would fall here) only lasts for one year. The library job I considered was for one school year, just to get things set up and running for them. Then you have to leave. Also, you have to register your HIV/AIDS status with the government. Oh, and there are age limits.

You can get a visa as a business owner, but I don't think there's a market for an IS unless you're only serving the local population. And, even though they're happy, they're certainly not rich: the university would only have paid about $500/month. It would be hard to attract stable teachers, I think, especially if you had forced 100% turnover every year.

I wish we could have considered the job more seriously. It's a lovely country, but maybe best for a (two-week) visit.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

When I graduated in British Columbia in 2009 there were advertisements up in the education department recruiting new Canadian graduates for positions in Bhutan. They were also looking for retired Canadian teachers. From memory, I think it was a one year contract. The money was awful, but what a wonderful experience is would be!!!!! I made a note of it for retirement (in 20 years time).