Moving from the British to the American System

ChoirGuy

Moving from the British to the American System

Post by ChoirGuy »

I have been working in a British/IB setting for the past 13 years (2 schools, one IB/British for 9 years, one British (A levels) for 4 years). I am looking to move into an American system for various reasons - one daughter in middle school now, want to move into American system before eventually moving back to the States.
Do I have a chance!!!??? Am a Music teacher (choral), have been Head of Music and Dir. of Choral (in the British A level school) and have applied to ISKL and ISM (trying to stay in Asia) with no joy in Manila (looking for strings) and waiting on ISKL. How realistic am I to think I might have a shot? Is my choral experience enough for one of the "big schools" like ISKL?
PsyGuy

Sounds like it

Post by PsyGuy »

I think youd be a qualified candidate for one of the elite schools in KL. As to being competitive, I think youd be a bit above average. The hard part is going to be waiting for a vacancy.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

There's a job for HS Vocal right now with ISKL, and have interviewed already...just waiting for them to go to the States for the Search Fair...worried they'll find someone with much more American experience (and thus, choral, experience, as the Brits do general music in the classroom). Thanks for the vote of confidence, though!
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

Did you interview in person? Most positions do get filled at the fair. Though few music teachers have much "stage" experience. If they didnt think you were qualified and the werent interested in you, they never would have wasted their time interviewing you in the first place.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Interviewed here in Bangkok. They were at the Search Fair in early January and "fit me in" for an interview (though not at the Fair itself).
PsyGuy

So....

Post by PsyGuy »

So they made an effort to fit you in because you were perceived to add value to their school. Seriously, if they didnt want you, they wouldn't have bothered. Admins have FAR better things to do then "pity interviews". The BK SEARCH fair is in itself an accomplishment to get an invite too. Many people dont make the cut.