Wait for next year?

PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Well thats a long answer. You have to factor in the many different regions QSI is located. Compensation wise Europe has high taxes, though with housing its better then many places in western europe. So your $41K after taxes might not be so great anymore. QSI is VERY popular with teachers with families, as the incremental cost of housing no longer becomes an issue.

Most peoples concerns with QSI is over the school environment and atmosphere. No parents first choice for their kids is ever QSI. QSI has a "generic" feel to it, kids come in they leave, and its the same with teachers. Very few stay for the long term. Its kind of factory'ish if you ask me. Yes admins they are supportive (when its in their interest). Yes, the kids are great (they arent "bad"). Yes, the money is good (if you cant get better). It just feels corporate to me, like your just one cog in their machine. Your not part of a schools family. After all its QSI not the International School of Slovenia

Lastly, there is an underlying christian philosophy that can be pretty prevalent, to some people thats a big turn off, even for christians who like to keep their faith separate from their professional lives.

If the bottom line for you though is well, the bottom line and its all about the what you can bank. Then QSI has some attractive features, especially for a large family. If you want to work in Eastern europe they are an easy in.
matt

Post by matt »

I've been to three QSI schools in Eastern Europe. The facilities leave a lot to be desired, and all of the teachers I've talked to were teaching 5 or 6 different preps with many hours of after school activity supervision that was required. Granted, it did have a great atmosphere for families since they were all bonded in the fact that they were in some pretty far flung places. It's all relative. If you don't know what the top schools in a given area of the world are offering in the way of packages, then QSI may seem like a good deal. Like I said before, if you want to get your foot in the door of overseas teaching, then by all means, sign that QSI contract.
mrspepper

Post by mrspepper »

Trebleclef,
I'm glad to hear that you have been so fortunate. Did you register with Search/go to a fair or go it alone? Still no luck for us but we keep sending in applications...we're not ready to give up entirely just yet.
trebleclef

Post by trebleclef »

Thanks for the insight...very helpful. We are considering offers from a QSI school in Eastern Europe, and an IS in Eastern Europe, as well.
With our family of four, it comes down to quality of life and cost of living.

mrspepper, we registered with ISS initially, but are not attending any fairs this year. My husband and I sent out joint applications/CVs/letters to many, many prospective schools and have had three interviews so far. ISS was helpful in the constant posting of available positions, but one could find those positions almost as easily with diligent research. I[m not sure if I had to do it over again that I'd pay the costs associated with ISS.
koda

Post by koda »

[quote="trebleclef"]Thanks for the insight...very helpful. We are considering offers from a QSI school in Eastern Europe, and an IS in Eastern Europe, as well.
With our family of four, it comes down to quality of life and cost of living.

mrspepper, we registered with ISS initially, but are not attending any fairs this year. My husband and I sent out joint applications/CVs/letters to many, many prospective schools and have had three interviews so far. ISS was helpful in the constant posting of available positions, but one could find those positions almost as easily with diligent research. I[m not sure if I had to do it over again that I'd pay the costs associated with ISS.[/quote]

Which QSI school in Eastern Europe? I'm at one of them myself, and due to the exchange rate, I live very comfortably on my salary, as do my coworkers. We have on family this year who is transferring to another QSI school next year. They have 3 kids and were able to do great vacations- one dog sledding in Sweden, another skiing in the Alps, etc and still have money for the summers travelling in the states. I wouldn't rule out QSI completely- focus on the school, because each QSI school is different and some are great. I just wanted to throw in some positives because most of the postings about QSI seem so negative.
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

Trebleclef,

You would not both be starting off at $ 41,900/yr according to QSI Employee booklet 2012-2013.
The maximum step for an entering teacher is with 7 years experience (Step 7) = $32,300
You do get a $2,000 end of year bonus and a $2,500 bonus to re-sign for a second year. A family's first year shipping allowance would be approximately
$1,600 (it does more than double after that).

The top of the scale Ph.D. with 14+ years of experience is $38,900.

Where did you get the figure of $41,900 each?