Colegia Nueva Granada or Colegio Karl C. Parrish

iTeach314

Colegia Nueva Granada or Colegio Karl C. Parrish

Post by iTeach314 »

Hello all,
I am thinking about teaching in Colombia. I'm considering these schools. Can anyone who has taught in Colombia provide some insight, specifically if you worked at these schools? Savings potential for a single person? Apparently these are two of the higher paying South American schools.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I taught in Colombia for three years and left in 2009. I have a friend who worked at Granada and had great things to say about the school. I also have heard from other sources it's the best school in Colombia. I can't comment on Parrish.

I think I can give you insight on the cities they are in.

Bogota - (Granada) A great international city that has made great strides of progression in the last five years. There are many foreigners living here and would be more comfortable for the expat. Even though it's considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world, it's probably the same level of danger for an expat as any other Latin American city, unless you're a drug dealer or gang member. You most likely would live in North Bogota which is a posh area and is very safe (I think the school is in N. Bogota). Bogota in my opinion is an amazing city full of culture, nightlife and tons of things to do. From Bogota you can fly to anywhere in Colombia. I lived in Bogota for a year and it was amazing. The weather can be difficult for many people. It's 8,000 feet up and can get quite cold, even in the summer. Its overcast all the time, but when the sun comes out it's wonderful. The people of Bogota (Rolos) area friendly, but more conservative.

Barranquilla - (Parrish) Barranquilla is an industrial port city know mostly for being the birth place of Shakira. It's kinda a pit with not much to do, but it offers a sizzling nightlife. On the upside it's on the coast and you can get to Cartagena in 90 minutes and to Santa Marta in 70 minutes. These are both great areas to enjoy the beach, culture and other great things. Barranquilla is on the North Coast of Colombia which is scortching hot. Another upside to the North Coast is the people, (Costenas) are extremely friendly and open.

The two cites are different worlds and both would offer different experiences. To tell you the truth I havent heard of anyone saying they love living in Barranquilla. I've heard many say they love Bogota, but you must want to live in a huge city that has dreary weather.

Im not sure what the money is, but I made 28K and it was knocked down to around 20K after Colombian taxes (21% when I was there) and a few other deductions. I saved like 8k a year, but I partied and traveled my butt off. Colombia is cheap (not as much as other LA countries) and if you were tight you could live on 500 bucks a months easy in Bogota, if the school took care of your housing and utilites. It would be all on your personal lifestyle.

I loved my time in Colombia and would have stayed, but I'm sitting in a "tier one" school in Asia and saving tons of cash so I can one day retire in Colombia.

Colombia es pasion!