Salalry in Dubai

lmnop

Salalry in Dubai

Post by lmnop »

What is a reasonable salary that I should be looking for at an international school in Dubai?
I have a Masters Degree in education and 6-7 years teaching in Canada. I have experience teaching at a few different courntries abroad too, but they weren't IB or international schools.

Any information would be appreciated before the interview.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

With your experience and degree, you should not settle for less than 14,000aed a month.
inman

Post by inman »

I agree with justlooking, but when looking at Dubai or Abu Dhabi always check the housing provision, because accommodation there is expensive and it isn't always very flash.
lmnop

Post by lmnop »

That makes sense. Thanks guys! I'm not too concerned about fancy accommodations, but more about location and public transportation as I don't drive! Is Festival City a convenient location?
scribe

Post by scribe »

Most schools in Dubai offer transportation to teachers in school housing, so that takes care of to and from school. There is a growing metro system, clean and efficient, which is reasonable, and cabs are abundant and metered, so no surprises. The metro doesn't go to Festival City, but close by - a short taxi ride to nearest stop. At our school, many teachers don't buy cars - and many do, it's just personal preference. The school does not start teachers out at the aforementioned 14,000 per month - that would be $46k per year - generous for a starting salary. Many teachers make that much as they've been here several years, also tutoring is HUGE throughout the city and culture; however, starting salaries are mostly a bit lower. Most teachers supplement their income through tutoring. Some schools offer housing salaries rather than housing - this can work for or against you, depending upon the state of the economy and size of allowance. Teachers at our school can save an additional 10k per year easily after the first year of school housing just by opting for the allowance - and most prefer their chosen housing, in buildings or compounds with pools and gyms.