Advice for a New Teaching Couple

BookshelfAmy

Advice for a New Teaching Couple

Post by BookshelfAmy »

My husband and I would like to break into the IS world. We've lived abroad before (Germany, Uganda, and Costa Rica), and I went to an IS as a child. What we really need at the moment is a reality check: how appealing are we as candidates, and what should our next moves be? I'd really appreciate any advice or information you can provide.

Here are our details:
-Both US state-certified
-Married w/no dependents (except a small dog)
-We live pretty cheaply in a one-bedroom apartment; as an idea, we currently put half of our salaries to overpaying our student loan debt (rural, public school salaries)

Husband:
-BS in Biology
-Certified in 8-12 Science, could add Math
-3 years teaching HS Biology & Chemistry
-3 years tutoring SPED students at university

Me:
-BA in English
-MS in Library Science
-Certified in EC-8 Generalist, could add 8-12 English & School Library
-1 year teaching 5th grade
-2.5 years as an Assistant Librarian (city & school libraries)
-3 years tutoring English Grammar at university

Here are my main questions:

1. I realize that I'm the weaker candidate. Do we need to stay where we are for a while to build up my teaching experience?

2. I would love to be a librarian, but it's pretty hard to find a school library job in the states right now; will an IS hire me on the basis of my education?

3. My sister works at an IS in Germany. What are the chances of us landing a job anywhere near her?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether our good attributes outweigh our lack of experience. Would you hire us?
PsyGuy

Not really

Post by PsyGuy »

Well first your right your the weaker candidate, but if you add the librarian certification, you just instantly caught up. Teaching years of experience isnt as important once you get into the junior admin roles like IT director/Librarian/counselor. Your husband is plenty competitive, and your certified in several fields, even with minimal experience, schools will take you just to get your husband.

IS schools and the market are different then the states. Librarians are also called "Media" positions. Search currently has 51 vacancies listed, which is probably A LOT better then back home.

Germany and most of western europe isnt likely. You dont have any IS experience, and no IB experience. Its not impossible, just it would be a harder shot.

Your husband should add the math certification, as soon as possible (and you add the library certification).

Would I hire YOU, no. Id hire your husband though (chemistry is hard to fill), and give you an offer in primary to make the deal work. Schools usually save a couple primary positions for trailing spouses.

Hiring season is happening NOW, you need to register with one of the big agencies Search, ISS, or CIS (Id recommend Search). I think the Cambridge fair is full, which is the 2nd of February, but thats where jobs happen. If you cant make the fair and your flexible on location, your husband should be very attractive and be a pretty desirable teacher. Seriously, if you want to do this, you can make it happen this year.
BookshelfAmy

Thanks

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Thanks for the perspective. That was much more positive than I expected! Now we have to decide if we want to try for it this year or wait until the next hiring season.

One more question, if you don't mind: How important is having the Library Media certificate itself? In our state, you have to teach for two years and then get university permission before you can add the LMS endorsement. So I have the Masters, but I can't possibly get the certificate for another year (unless we change states). Do you know whether a teaching cert + masters would be sufficient for most schools?

Thanks again for your help!
PsyGuy

Sure

Post by PsyGuy »

Id have to say if you have a MLS, and have a valid "other" type of certification, even if a teaching certificate your fine. School need you to be "legal" they cant employ you as a faculty member and be uncertified.

Your not that competitive a candidate anyway, theyre not really hiring you, theyre hiring your husband. Its unlikely you will get the library position anyway, you will probably get offered an elementary position. Serious all the recruiting leverage is with hubby (thanks to him and his big science brain, and ample years of experience)

You need to decide soon, like now, Search doesnt take Credit Cards, and it takes a week in the current job rush to get your check. The hiring is happening now, you need to get on the ball now for Fall 2012
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

I'm a newbie so take what I say with several grains of salt! If it were me (and it was last year), I would wait one more year. There is SOOO much to do to get ready to do a job hunt - resumes, figuring out how to write a killer cover letter, nagging your references (that's 6 people between the two of you!!!), researching the schools, etc. Plus for me I've found there is a long, gradual psychological component to finally accepting that you are REALLY going to do this - plus get rid of your stuff, give up your jobs, research the financial to-dos, inform family, etc etc etc. Plus you could use another year to secure up some more certifications. It's probably not at all impossible to secure jobs in the later hiring rounds for next year. But you'd probably be a lot less frenetic and more prepared to say you're going to start this process next September, like many of us did this year. You're just starting the entire process really late. Which is amazing to me considering that it's only February! :)
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Yeah, you're cutting it way too close to get your act together for a fair now, in my opinion. Sort out your thinking over the Summer and contact Search before school year starts and get the registration done.
mrspepper

Post by mrspepper »

Yeah, unfortunately like you I don't think my husband and I are going to succeed in finding jobs this year. It seems like all the good jobs are already taken. I'm starting to regret not signing up with Search.
PsyGuy

What???

Post by PsyGuy »

Its far from too late, especially for a HIGHY qualified science teacher, even if they dont get to go to the fair (which is getting to late) there will still be lots of schools hiring in the late season. They might not get a tier 1 school, but they are new anyway. It doesnt hurt to start the process now, and if successful great, if not, they are "READY" to go for next year. No one ever got a job by "waiting".
overseasvet2

too late?

Post by overseasvet2 »

There is a June fair in Betheseda that often has top schools picking up people last minute for increased enrollment and unexpected vacancies. I'd hate to pin all my hopes on it but can be a great option.
PsyGuy

Not really

Post by PsyGuy »

I doubt they will need to go to a fair. Her husband will be picked up pretty quickly. Maybe not the best schools, but a school. Lastly, your not "pinning all your hopes on a fair", many many teachers get positions without a fair at all.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

You are certified in the eyes of international school with an MS in library science. Don't go do any more, it won't be worth it in the long run.
BookshelfAmy

Thanks

Post by BookshelfAmy »

I don't mean to bump this thread; just wanted to say thank you all for your thoughtful responses!

We've actually been considering this all year, but we didn't want to do the whole job fair thing in my first year of teaching (particularly not if it meant asking for a reference in September)!

dreamgiver, you sound a lot like my husband, who HATES moving. We decided to apply directly to a few schools this year, and then jump in with both feet next year. We just kept coming back to this question of "Will anyone hire us?", hence this thread. You all have been wonderfully reassuring. We really appreciate all the advice.
dreamgiver

Re: Thanks

Post by dreamgiver »

[quote="BookshelfAmy"]dreamgiver, you sound a lot like my husband, who HATES moving. [/quote]

Actually, I am totally stoked about this move! I am a very adventurous person! Only I'm now waiting to find out where the move will be to! I just had no idea how many details were actually involved in making this a reality. I'm finding there is a huge amount of practical logistics and emotional preparation. However I'm sure that if you don't own a home, haven't worked yourself into the top rung of the payscale in a job you currently love, or other various things this whole process might be much easier and quicker!

BookshelfAmy, I wish you the very best. You sound like you have your feet firmly planted in reality. I'm sure something will work out for you either for next school year or the one after that!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Why thank you!

I guess I should have said that you sound like my husband, who is very PRACTICAL and LOGICAL whereas I am very impetuous and itchy-footed. You're right that being young and homeless makes it easier, but the thought of leaving my new washer/dryer makes me sad. But adventure trumps clean clothes, right? :)
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

[quote="BookshelfAmy"]. . . but the thought of leaving my new washer/dryer makes me sad. But adventure trumps clean clothes, right? :)[/quote]

LOL! I can relate! I am struggling with the plan to leave my beautiful newly remodeled (post flood) house! Can't stand the thought of how a renter is going to treat my gorgeous new hard wood floors!