African Experiences: Is anybody willing to share?

RandyBush

African Experiences: Is anybody willing to share?

Post by RandyBush »

Where were you? Was travel easy? Did people come visit you? Internet access? What was the good and/or bad?
sheaf72

Post by sheaf72 »

I have been in Africa for 5 years--3 in South Africa and 2 in Tanzania. It is a wonderful experience, but you must be very flexible and have a fantastic sense of adventure and humor. Africa offers so many amazing things and the travel is tremendous. There are some hardships though--mosquitos, high cost of living in some areas, lack of electricity at times--but it is all worth the experiences that you will have. Nothing usually works quite right, but you just get used to that. I have had people visit, but many are afraid to come to Africa. There is nothing to be afraid of! I LOVE Africa and feel lucky to have been able to see as much as I have and can't even tell you the how wonderful it has been. There are many trying days, but it is all so worth it! If you have the chance, then go for it!
BookshelfAmy

Uganda

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Since you're not getting many responses, I'll throw in my two cents. I spent a semester studying in Uganda in 2006. I can't tell you what the international school in Kampala is like, but I can address the general standard of living, etc.

Where were you?
I lived in Mukono, Uganda, with pretty frequent trips to Kampala.

Was travel easy?
Depends what you call "easy." We walked pretty much everywhere, but it's a walking culture. There are matatus (minibus taxis) that run between cities and around Kampala, and you can hire a motorcycle to take you around town (although they are forbidden by the US gov). All of it is cheap and dangerous, including walking. If you get your own car, you need 4-wheel drive to go anywhere outside Kampala, as most of the roads are unpaved. We once hired a (more expensive) private taxi for a full day road trip. We always got where we wanted to go (and we traveled a lot), but it takes longer than you'd expect and not everyone will be happy to see you. British Airways flights come every other day to Entebbe.

Did people come visit you?
I think it depends on your people. Some folks will seize the opportunity, some will be scared. Flights can be pretty expensive (at least from the US). The good thing is that you can visit amazing places for really cheap.

Internet access?
I lived mostly on a college campus. We had Internet access, including wireless in a couple places, but it was really slow. There are a lot of Internet cafes around town, but they're slow, too. They are riddled with really old viruses, so I had to scan my jump drive every time I switched computers. The biggest problem with the Internet is that Uganda was selling it's electricity to neighboring countries, which caused massive rolling blackouts almost every day, with no warning. I don't know if that problem has been resolved in the last 6 years.

What was the good and/or bad?
Living in Uganda was the best and the hardest thing I've ever done. Kampala is much more modern, but living in Mukono meant walking an hour to the post office, haggling for fruit at the market, buying and dismantling a whole chicken for dinner, making sure I only drank potable water... It was very hard on my body (parasites, hair like straw, drastic changes in normal body functions :), but the lifestyle was lovely and the weather was awesome. Also, I was living the life of a student, and things would be different if you could afford household help and hot water.

Conditions vary dramatically from country to country and city to city, but, like sheaf said, you need to be flexible and adventurous (and I would add hopeful and committed).
RandyBush

Zambia

Post by RandyBush »

First, thanks for the couple of replies; I hope more share.

I will be moving to Zambia. I've heard travel can be difficult but at the same time very rewarding.

I've heard similar about the internet, but I have also heard it's improving, and mobile phone access and coverage is getting better.

Again Thanks.
PsyGuy

Zambia

Post by PsyGuy »

Really Zambia??? Good luck, I'll say a prayer for you that nothing eats you while your there.
sheaf72

Post by sheaf72 »

Everyone, I mean everyone, has a mobile phone--including the Masai car park attendants that are all over Dar. Phones are cheap and you do pay as you go for phone credit. Most people use it to text, as calls can be pricey.

If you are moving to Lusaka, then the internet should be ok. Most places are wireless now. Internet is fairly good. Not fast--but again, you get used to how slow it is. I don't even realize how slow it is until I go back to the US over the summer and see how fast it is there!

Lusaka is nice, but pretty limited with entertainment. If you are at the American school, it is a nice campus and my current principal will be the director there next year and he is great! I imagine it is difficult to travel (by air) from Lusaka, as it is in most places in Africa except for Nairobi and Joburg. You may have to connect through either place to get where you want to go and the plane ticket costs are high. Lusaka has a small airport and likely the flight schedule is like Dar's where flights in certain airlines are only a few times a week.

I am sure you get a car loan there, and will need a car to get around. It is very difficult to drive around Africa, as many road are bad and some countries only have a few roads. But there are many safari companies you can use. I have been lucky enough to see most of Southern and Eastern Africa at this point, and if you are willing to use backpacker places (they are all quite nice in Eastern and Southern africa) then you can do it on the cheap. Look at www.coastingafrica.com

You will have a fantastic time. And I am sure you will get paid enough to have a housekeeper and possibly a cook too. Labor is cheap and easy to find. You will likely get a bit sick from time to time, but your belly will adjust. It is no big deal. The things you see on a daily basis will be amazing and the travel will make you addicted to Africa. Just remember the expression TIA--meaning "this is Africa". There is NO logic here, so don't even ask why something is happening--just think TIA and you will be just fine.

I hope this helps. =)
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I was in Malawi a very long time ago as a volunteer and returned for a short stint several years ago and what I realized was how much I missed it. There is a saying that goes something like "Once you've been to Africa you'll always go back" and I think its true.

It won't be the easiest experience but it will be rewarding. Travel isn't easy but its not impossible and its always an adventure, I traveled to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Kenya without much hassle and on a very very tight budget. (I live in China now and trust me, travel here isn't necessarily cheap or easy either)

You will need to watch your health more carefully than you do in other parts of the world, make sure to take your malaria prophylactics and never ever get caught in the cab of a truck with a swarm of tsetse flies.

The internet may be slow, but then again it took 6 weeks for my first letter to arrive.

You'll see and do things that you won't see anywhere else, Victoria Falls is absolutely stunning as are the animals in Luangwa National Park.

The kids will entertain you and perhaps run from you screaming Mzungu.

The food will be simple but cheap and fresh as long as you don't need to eat Western every night.

I am a little envious and wish you the greatest adventure.