Comparing cost of living for three schools in Europe

PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends what your package is, what city your in, and what your lifestyle is like. There are a LOT of variables that go into an assessment of if you can 'live' in europe. Generally speaking people dont do nearly as well as they think they do no matter how optimistic they are about their ability to be frugal.
Elliott1

Teaching in europe

Post by Elliott1 »

Any schools you would say have the better packages? My husband is a trained Teacher Assistant though not currently working as one. Would schools consider hiring him as well? I live in australia. Should I go to the Bangkok fair with my husband or just send my CV direct to schools? I am currently completing my masters which includes post grad units in IB giving me IB Teacher Award 1 certificate. I love the curriculum. I have been teaching for 20yrs and have fantastic references. Also, do I have to 'tailor make' my CV for each individual school? Thanks!
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

As a very broad generalization, the American (DOS) schools tend to provide the better compensation packages. European (western) schools just dont provide housing packages, and taxes are very high. Those are the two primary factors that effect disposable income and saving potential.

The Bangkok fair is the preferred fair to go to if you an get an invitation to it. Though many people secure positions by applying directly. It really depends on what your qualifications are and what you teach. Understand an IB teacher award (or any training) is not the same as IB experience. With 20 years experience and a masters you sound more then qualified, though Europe isnt usually a new international teachers starting location.

Schools often save a few primary teaching positions for teaching couples where they have a high demand, difficult to fill position. That said a teachers aid certificate will not qualify. Schools will create or find a support staff position for trailing spouses, though not as part of recruitment, and its likely to be a low paid position.

I dont think you have to tailor your resume to each school. Schools care about two things: 1) What you CAN teach, and 2) What you HAVE taught. This means experience, certifications, and degrees (plus any special extra curricular skill sets). Not a whole lot to really tailor. Do tailor your cover letter though, making sure to highlight how your background meets the position requirements, and that you directly hit on the specifics in the position announcement.
Elliott1

Post by Elliott1 »

Thanks for the info!