Dulwich College Beijing?

hb2011

Dulwich College Beijing?

Post by hb2011 »

We are looking for a move that will allow us to both save a decent amount of money and also get some good professional development. Does anyone know anything about Dulwich College Beijing? Also, we would be taking a young family with us, how bad is the pollution, is it really a reason not to go? Thanks.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

To get information about the pollution in Bejinig, you might read some of the responses to my recent original post "Beijing City International School." If you read through other past forum discussions about China & Beijing, pollution has been discussed a few times.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Dulwich College Beijing?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="hb2011"]We are looking for a move that will allow us to both save a decent amount of money and also get some good professional development. Does anyone know anything about Dulwich College Beijing? Also, we would be taking a young family with us, how bad is the pollution, is it really a reason not to go? Thanks.[/quote]

Dulwich is a good school with a very nice campus and a good package. I know someone who started there this past year as a first overseas post and they love it.

Beijing is a surprisingly livable city. Unless you or one of your children had a serious respiratory condition, there is no reason not to consider positions in Beijing.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Wrldtrvlr,

ah, the vagaries of the international school teaching world...
After being insanely crazy with worry about not getting anything, having some offers we actually turned down in the beginning of the process, taking a trip to NY to interview for jobs back home, we are now in the position of possibly getting a post at Dulwich in Beijing. Your comments on pollution here are hopeful and my question is actually about salaries. We haven't talked with them on this (interview tonight), but IF the post is only for me - no responsibility allowances - can a family of four survive (as far as you know)? The school itself is not much of an issue as I would be very happy to work there from everything I've heard...

Thanks for any info.
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

They include housing, yeah you could get by fine on a single salary. You won't be bankin the savings, but you will have a fine quality of life.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Thanks PsyGuy...we would HOPEFULLY also have the wife working in SOME capacity, but will find that out more today. Our biggest decision right now is whether to return home to work at a private school in the States (PA), or stay overseas. It's really one of those "life-changing" moments for us as we have two children who we would love to share with their grandparents, nephews and nieces, but the private school is low-balling us (we think?) in terms of salary, so we can't pull the trigger...no replies necessary, as we are getting a million opinions on this already! hahahaha....

Thanks for the reply on Dulwich, though.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="ChoirGuy"]Thanks PsyGuy...we would HOPEFULLY also have the wife working in SOME capacity, but will find that out more today. Our biggest decision right now is whether to return home to work at a private school in the States (PA), or stay overseas. It's really one of those "life-changing" moments for us as we have two children who we would love to share with their grandparents, nephews and nieces, but the private school is low-balling us (we think?) in terms of salary, so we can't pull the trigger...no replies necessary, as we are getting a million opinions on this already! hahahaha....

Thanks for the reply on Dulwich, though.[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------

DCB is a nice school and your children would be happy there. They also pay most of your taxes for you and pay a solid wage so any money your wife could bring in would be a bonus. If you that option is a choice, you would do just fine and maybe better than fine.