What does a Search Associates associate actually do?

seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Don't know what they do for the rest of the year out of the job fair season and I don't really care.

Our associate has replied promptly both times we wanted to activate our accounts again and answered any questions promptly. No problems. When we get to the fair we always make sure to stop and chat even just for a few minutes. I was pleasantly surprised he remembered our first fair experience and he was reminiscing on that. Nice touch.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

My associate did absolutely nothing. In fact Deelman had his assistant reply to every single question we sent in - which at last count was only 3. Most of his assistant's replies were rushed and on several occasions very rude (i.e. opening with a 'RELAX!' or 'You are not our only candidate'). We never demanded anything. Our last question was simply asking if they had received our latest references. We only asked because our supervisor (who we are quite close to) told us that he sent them in two weeks prior to our email and Search still hadn't updated the info on our dashboard.

I can understand that they are quite busy during recruitment season but one of the reasons why we switched from ISS to Search was the associate factor.

Once again, managed to secure jobs on our own. Search was not a factor in the process at all.

On another note: while we were sending emails out to schools we noticed that they were quite 'relaxed' about updating their info on Search. I wrote to several schools who had positions posted only to learn shortly after that these posts had been filled - at times over a month before I even applied.

Is it the sole responsibility of the school to update the info on Search and their website? Or should Search, in order to better serve their clients, keep better tabs on this?

Cheers.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

I am surprised at the comments re: Search, though I am sure each is a valid reflection of a real experience. I had a different experience with them as I have posted before, though I was never a paying client. At any rate, perhaps it's time to boycott bad service and as many other posts have suggested... create a movement away from agencies & fairs and towards Skype and better representation.
PsyGuy

Suggested

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with the problem of "expired" vacancies, were the vacancy appears to stay up forever. Id suggested that vacancies have an automatic expiration date, that ould need to be renewed if it was still open. That will never happen though, because the schools are the real clients not the candidates.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I find that having the profile helps cut through all the technical/education parts of the interview (Assuming you are well recommended). Most of my interviews are trying to figure out if I'm a sociable genius or just typical science geek and discussing what to do with the dependents.

My associate (Gez) is extremely useful and gives good advise on which schools to stay away from. But having a good chat with them at a smaller fair is a good way to build your relationship with them. Trying to have a general chat in January BKK is a bit pointless since they are busy.