Tentative offers

Moien

Tentative offers

Post by Moien »

Hi,

I have found in the last months quite a few job offers in different subjects "labelled" as tentative.

Do they always the same thing? A teacher that may not be returning to the school next year? Or there may be other reasons?

Thanks for your comments.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Tentative could mean the teacher is thinking of leaving, it could mean that there might be someone else on staff who might want the job, it could mean they anticipate an increase in enrollment but aren't sure yet. I have learned the hard way not to get too excited about tentative positions. I would apply anyway and then move on and wait for them to get in contact with you if they think there is a good match.
PsyGuy

IDK

Post by PsyGuy »

Tentative is just a for schools to begin the long process of identifying a candidate pool, for a position that may or may not become available. It could be because of a reduction in staffing, increase in enrollment or many other factors. The key is that a school needs to be as prepared as they can.
hallier

Post by hallier »

It is often the case that schools ask teachers to complete a non-binding declaration of their intentions for next year. At my last few schools, this happened in October. Bonuses were given to those who give a binding resignation at that time.

This gives the school the chance to post firm and tentative vacancies early - and start interviewing and hiring as early as possible. My current school has already filled half of their vacancies for next year.
Moien

Post by Moien »

Thanks!