International Newbie, Evaluate My Credentials

HoraceMann

International Newbie, Evaluate My Credentials

Post by HoraceMann »

Hello all,
I hope you will all pardon my ignorance, but I need some answers.

[u]MY Credentials[/u]: Thirteen years total teaching experience, of which two years were teaching regular education social studies (not certified, but considered "highly qualified", due to my BA being in History). I've taught United States and Word History, Economics, Civics/Government, two state histories.
Alternate Certification in Special Education, with eleven years experience. Certification in my home state was Mild/Moderate K-12, in my present state LD 1-12. I've taught on both the middle and high school levels, a little resource but mostly self-contained classes. As such, I've actually taught [i]every[/i] core class (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) for grades 7-12 (with the exception of AlgebraII, Geometry, Trig, and Calculus).

I also have Master Degrees in both Special Education and Educational Leadership. I would like to get into administration in the near future.

I have also coached on the middle school level (Head girls basketball, track, and softball coach).
On the high school level I have been a varisty Head Golf and Softball, and Track coach, as well as an assistant in Football, Softball, Baseball, and Track coach.
I've taught sports lab classes for PE credit in Golf, softball, and Track.

My recommendations are excellent.

[u]About Me[/u]

I am a 47 year old male that is getting divorced that will have my 13 year old son with me. I am primarily interested in teaching in Eastern Europe and Asia, would also consider the Middle East for the right package/situation. (I realize this might have to be the path I choose as I have no international experience.
My main interests are being able to bank a little money in the beginning and to have a comfortable situation for my son...therefore I am thinking a school with a true "international" population of students would be important (I do not want my son feeling like an outcast).

[u]Questions[/u]

A) Could you please out line the obstacles that might might face getting what I want in each of my desired work regions?

B) I am guesing Tier 1 schools are out at this point, but possible Tier 2 schools that might consider me in each region...could you list some potential schools from each region/country?

C) I am considering QSI schools as we are Christians, it seems it would be a good "safe" place to begin (and possibly stay/advance?). Would they consider me do to my being in the situation where I am divorcing? I sent in my application to them this week.

D) I have an opportunity to add a certification in PE to my licence before this summer...is it worth doing?

E) Money is going to be tight in the near term, with that said, Do I need to join a company like Search or ISS or attend the UNI fair? As I siad, money IS tight, but will get it together if necessary...

F) Is there anything I am not considering that I need to be aware of?

G) What is the potential for administrative jobs. How many years of successful overseas experience should I expect to need before becoming a viable administrative candidate?

I would to thank everyone that will respond in advance!!![/u]
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

Sorry about the typos, missed in the review.

Surely someone can help. If you can only answer one or two questions...that would be great.
Thanks...
PsyGuy

Hi

Post by PsyGuy »

Your kind of a unique case actually. So (and some people will disagree with me) what you think of as special ed is caller learning resource in most international schools. You also wont find anything close to moderate needs or more severe at international schools (in general). Most schools if they have special ed service at best mild needs and LD, ED. Even the biggest elite schools (outside DODEA) make a point to say they do not provide special ed services to the standard as required by USA law. The operative word there is "if"? While special ed is improving globally, especially in asia, most international schools either do special ed "lite", dont do special ed, or say they do special ed, and then dont provide resources to service the students. So what this means is that there is a smaller pool of special ed vacancies (about 3% of total). The good news is there is also a smaller pool of people available/applying for those positions.

My advice is going to vary from what i normally give, in your case you wouldnt be off shooting for a tier one school. Schools that have special ed are REALLy in need of teachers with your experience, as most special ed teachers only have experience as inclusion teachers, and have never taught in a self contained special ed classroom or with the populations you have. Thats a skill set that will be very attractive to school, and with 11 years experience they will know your the real thing, and can hack special ed.

Im going to answer your agency question here, because its a toss up for me. Usually i recommend this: If you have a very narrow range of location, you dont need an agency (like search, CIS, or ISS) because with the exception of China, and the middle east most countries only have a handful of schools and its easy enough to just book mark each schools HR page and keep visiting looking for vacancies. If you have a very broad search, either your open to anywhere or are qualified to teach a common subject then an agency like Search can save you time. The other issue is job fairs. You cant go to the agency job fairs if your not a member (well there are ways around that), but your likely to be hired outside of a fair as much as you are at a fair. Lastly, money is tight for you Id hate to recommend you sign up just have you hired in a couple weeks, with out much or any real use from the agency. If it was me, id join because learning support positions pop up everywhere, and there are about 50 positions globally, and there spread out, and Search (which is the biggest, and the one you should go with in your case) will save you a lot of time and allow you to apply right away (since your open to just about anywhere).

Have you thought of DODEA (DoDDS) youd be fully qualified in special education and thats in REALLY high demand???

You can do better then QSI, i really dont want to get into another QSI bashing post, but they are an "easy" option if your REALLy interested in Eastern europe. Outside of QSI there are only about 14 tier 1 international school in all of Eastern Europe. Im catholic (which is christian) but QSI (in my opinion) is more on the fundamental (crazy, nutso) side of christian. Again, just my opinion, and if i offended anyone, many pardons.

If all your interested in is coaching or extra curricular sports, a PE certification isnt needed. Only if you want to be a PE teacher (which would expand your options) would you need a PE certification. Youd be surprised how many PE teachers cant coach anything outside of football (sorry soccer) or swimming (which is also popular). So it would help you if you could get it quickly, and if it wasnt to expensive it might be worth the money.

I just started as an admin this year and this is my 6th year. 5-6 years is about "average" for newbie admins. You need a masters at a minimum (which you have 2), and it would greatly help if you have an admin certificate as well. Honestly, special ed/learning support is a fast track way to a junior admin position (VP/Coordinator of Learning Support, or Student Services). What essentially happens is you become the LS coordinator/Lead Teacher /Department Head or Chair, and basically consult with the counselor and principal, while managing/supervising a group of substitutes that shadow your students on action plans (IEP).
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
redster

Post by redster »

You should do fine, you have that factor which allows you to do many things. You might want to consider some directed resumes for different positions. I have known several divorced people who have worked for QSI, not a problem. If you are hired by QSI, you won't need to pay for a seach, UNI or ISS fair/membership. You probably will need a little overseas experience to move up to admin.
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

Thank you for your responses.

PsyGuy- thank you for your thoughtful, point-by-point responses to my questions...they are greatly appreciated.

Ichiro- Thank you for your reassurances about my qualifications, coming from someone that is at the pinnacle of the international teaching profession, your reassurance is most welcome.

Redster-Thank you for the QSI specific response. As I really do not know what is out there, a position with QSI would be a comfort as it seems to be a "risk free" environment in which to get one's feet wet and earn some international experience. I sent in my application materials on Friday December 2nd and have yet to hear back from them, or to have had them contact any of my references, so I was getting concerned that my being in a "pending divorce" situation might be a strike against me.

I am still torn as to how to proceed with my job search. If I were to be offored a interview/position with QSI in the near term, I am pretty sure I would accept the position and discontinue my search at that point.
My dilemma is that the recruiting season rolls on and I am sort of in limbo due to circumstances I have outlined in my OP, and above.

I guess my most pressing question at this point is: Would it be worth it to sign-up with Search, with the intentions of targeting positions that are suitable for my experience (and planning on biting the bullet and spending the money necessary to attend the fair
OR
To spend a more affordable amount of money in going to the UNI fair
OR
Simply using the "links to schools reviewed on ISR, to send cover letters and CVs to schools that do/might have an opening?

Any additional help from those have already responded, or anyone else who has an informed opinion on the matter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks...
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

Without previous overseas experience, I would recommend going to a fair. I like the UNI fair because it doesn't feel like such a meat market. Fewer schools attend but it's a great place to start.

There are benefits to the job fair besides the obvious one of getting a job. There is a great deal of networking that goes on and you can learn a great deal from the other candidates. Wherever you go, I'd advocate staying in the same hotel as the conference. You can then go and relax between interviews or hang out in the lobby in the evening for informal chats.

Good luck!
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

overseasvet2-Thank you for the advice
PsyGuy

Search

Post by PsyGuy »

Id recommend the search fair, your going to capture and see more Resource/Learning Support positions. I know moneys tight, but you cant just send blind resumes to schools you like hoping they have a vacancy. Hiring season is in full swing, you need to get on this and get on this now. Sign up with an agency, search and get hired. Seriously this is an investment, your going to have major regret as spring rolls around and you havent found anything yet because your shooting in the dark.

Seriously, you can do A LOT better then QSI.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I think a fair is your best option and I would highly recommend UNI. I have been several times and as mentioned in countless other threads it is a first class operation. Do your homework and make yourself known to schools beforehand and then go and be prepared for an exhausting weekend. Compared to other fairs it is a low cost affair and so your financial commitment won't be as substantial.

My boss told me the other day that he sees the early hiring pendulum swinging back, that schools are learning they want to meet and greet before hiring-this from a guy who hires dozens of teachers. I can't vouch for that so take it at face value.

One last note, if you have read previous threads regarding QSI you will know that I have some serious reservations about the system. However, as time has moved on I see all schools, even the illusionary "Tier 1" schools have their warts. QSI definitely has its warts but they were never late with a paycheque, they supplied very nice housing (actually over and above what they had to), their medical wasn't any worse than what we have to hassle with now, and finally I worked with a great staff. Again, this is all my opinion and experience.

Good luck in your search.
PsyGuy

Admin

Post by PsyGuy »

Our schools moving the other direction, with more schools waiting for the actual fairs, and fewr offers being made early, teachers are feeling pressure to have a contract in hand by the fair. We are finishing up our Job search for two positions starting in January, and our getting a jump on next year. I've already been asked to look at several very promising candidates for some of our expected vacancies (we have 4, so far for next year). Our principals would love to close those positions out, as less to do over the summer when we know who is and isnt coming back in the fall.

I dont like the UNI fair, unless its within driving distance for a candidate. If you have to spend the money to travel somewhere, you might as well go to one of the bigger fairs. Yes its more stressful, but the training wheels have to come off sometime, and the MA/BK fairs are the gold standard where people get employed and there are far more schools there then at UNI.