4 dependents and a dream

FlTravelers

4 dependents and a dream

Post by FlTravelers »

My wife and I have decided to seriously attempt securing a teaching position overseas. However, we do have 4 children. Our 2 boys will be four next year and the girls will be 6. We can be flexible on things like dependent travel and similar benefits if that kind of thing can be negotiated. But before we spend a great deal of energy and resources in a job hunt, what I am wondering is, is 4 dependents too many to make a successful run at teaching internationally?

If not, are there any regions/schools in particular that would be a posibility?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
PsyGuy

Questions

Post by PsyGuy »

Do BOTH of you teach (are you a teaching couple)? What subjects do you teach? How many years experience do you have?

If its just you who is a teacher then it would be a REAL long shot. I wouldnt say it was impossible, but outside of tuition waivers, youd have a hard time finding housing in a lot of places, and it would be expensive. Most schools dont have that big of on campus housing, or your housing allowance wouldnt cover all your rent.

Even if your both teachers it would still be a long shot, youd just be very expensive to hire, and you have the same housing problems.
hiznherz

Try QSI

Post by hiznherz »

QSI accepts families with 4 dependents if you are both teachers.
FlTravelers

Post by FlTravelers »

We are both teachers. My wife has been teaching 13 years. She is certfied in Elementary Ed., Middle Grades English 5-9, English 6-12 & 3 endorsements (ESOL, Gifted, Reading). She has her an MA and an EDS. She is National Board Certified and has been a district trainer for 8 years in classroom management, lesson planning and recently has taken on training of our new evaluation instrument (Charlotte Danielson Rubric from the Gates Grant). She has also hosted a slew of extracurriculars.

My resume is not quite as extensive or as impressive. :-) I have taught for 7 years. I have an MA. I am certified in Social Studies 6-12 and Middle Grades Integrated (Math, Science, English and Social Studies) 5-9. I have run our Peer Mediation, and TV Production. I have coached 6 different sports successfully and hosted several extra-curriculars as well.

Our main concern is tuition more than housing. Our current house isn't all that big itself. We want to do this not only for the experiences for ourselves, but we would like for our kids to get a top notch education from a school full of teachers like us.

Thanks for your replies.
PsyGuy

Ok

Post by PsyGuy »

Your wife would be better pursuing an admin position, as 8 years out of the classroom might cause pause on how current her classroom skills are. You are both excellent candidates. With you teaching social studies (also called Humanities in IB). generalist at the MS level arent as common as specific subjects, but there is some demand for them. Your wife sounds like she could move into a PYP coordinator position (PYP principal) at a good tier 2 school or lower tier 1 school (depending on region). Id register with Search, youd be very marketable. The only (minor) thing is you dont have IB experience, and your teaching areas dont have the highest demand. I think its possible, but a still a long shot, you basically need an elite school that doesnt care about "cost", but those positions are highly competitive.

So europe generally doesnt give housing allowances, and your not likely to find a 5 bedroom apartment in very many places so you need to rent a house or have a school that has some very large apartments.

As mentioned QSI is an option but they dont always give you housing they just help you find it. Which would be expensive.

You need a school in a country with a low cost of living. Some countries Id recommend: Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, China (though theres almost no housing that big).
Last edited by PsyGuy on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
overseasvet2

4 dependents

Post by overseasvet2 »

Good curriculum coordinators are hard to find. With her training experience, your wife might be able to find a job doing that. Eight years out of the classroom would cause some to hesitate and others not. It doesn't hurt to try! Your coaching experience will be very valued.
FlTravelers

Post by FlTravelers »

That's good information. It's also along the lines of what we were thinking may be our obstacles. We just wanted to do a bit of research before shelling out money to attend fairs and apply if there was no chance of anything coming from it.

My wife is currently teaching. She does trainings some nights and on a few Saturdays with the district training department. I only listed it as a slight bump to her credentials.

It is also good to know that coaching experience is valued. I would be somewhat disappointed to teach at a school where I couldn't be involved, at least as an assistant, in coaching a sport. Knowing that some schools may prefer it is good news.

Thanks again for your posts, keep the great info coming! :-)
PsyGuy

Jumping the Shark

Post by PsyGuy »

I understand your position. You dont want to shell out $1,000 in membership and fair expenses, if no ones going to really be interested in you.

So your both teachers, thats very good. Usually a school does a 1:1 ratio of teacher to tuition waiver, but 2:1 isnt unheard of. So basically shes a primary and english teacher and your a social studies teacher (and your both middle school generalists), thats a marketable couple. None of those are in very high need, but if your flexible on location enough you can find positions.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I think you as a couple sound pretty marketable, especially if you're able to teach math. You both sound very solidly professional and flexible. Of course, at some point you will mention your family, but I would not specify how many kids there are unless you're asked directly. At that point you should make it clear you understand the school can't pay the way for all of them, and that you may have to shell out some money out-of-pocket to get three bedrooms to accommodate them.

And do be flexible with your location.
Last edited by heyteach on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Dog

QSI *does* provide housing!

Post by White Dog »

Hi. I've been reading these boards for a while, and the misinformation Psyguy gives just drives me crazy!

Psyguy wrote: "As mentioned QSI is an option but they dont give you housing they just help you find it. Which would be expensive."

That would be expensive, but I work for QSI, and I can assure you that they do provide housing. If you are unhappy with the housing they provide, you are free to find your own, which they will also pay for. They also pay for utilities above $1000 a year.
PsyGuy

Not true

Post by PsyGuy »

Whether QSI gives you housing depends what country your in. I've also heard of experiences with QSI teachers (mainly in eastern europe) where acceptable housing cost more then the allowance.

Sorry I should have been more clear, my workload has gone up 10 fold with marking time at this time of year. I really need to focus on one group of tasks at a time.
White Dog

No, PsyGuy, QSI pays housing in all their schools

Post by White Dog »

No, PsyGuy, you are wrong. I have the QSI handbook and benefits information right here, and they pay housing for every single school. They distribute a statement of benefits that applies to every school. They pay housing.

Here's a snippet from their most recent job listing at tieonline:

Salary: Tax free $26,900 to $40,100
Benefits: Annual air transportation to point of origin; housing with basic furnishings; worldwide medical insurance (Cigna - CIEB); overseas allowance ($1600 to $5900); small shipping allowance

The bigger issue is that you seem to have absolutely no problem making a statement as fact when you're uncertain of the facts. QSI pays for housing at every school. Period.

What else are you wrong about? You certainly have an option on everything, which is fine when you label that as option. For example, you should have said "I think QSI only pays for housing at certain schools." This would have been wrong, but it would have been identified as an option. When you make statements of fact that are then demonstrated to be wrong, you decrease your credibility. Since you seem to reply to nearly every question posted, this is a problem.

Anyway, to the original poster, QSI pays for housing. They'll accept you with 4 dependents and try to give you a 5 bedroom house or apartment if it's possible. I've known people with 4 dependents who had to accept 4 bedroom places since 5 bedroom places weren't available. If your kids are willing to share a room then it shouldn't be a problem.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

According to their own Search profile, there are exceptions to their provided housing package. You can look it up yourself. Previous posters have commented on this board that QSI didnt do any more then help them find housing. It doesnt matter what the book says, unless the book is writing a check. What matters is what happens.

But sure, minor clarification, i just added one word
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Dog

OMG!

Post by White Dog »

Let us list the facts:

You do not work for QSI.
I work for QSI.
I know -- not know of, have heard of, or imagine I know -- dozens of people who work for QSI.
Neither I nor they have ever heard of anyone working for QSI (just to clarify: not as a local hire, but as an international hire) without QSI paying for housing.
My contract and all information given to employees from QSI says they pay for housing.
And finally, and I can't help but think this bolsters any point I might make about the quality of your advice, you seem to know the difference between your and you're and their, there, and they're, but you argue constantly that using them interchangeably is acceptable use.

I know! It's making me look like an idiot to feed the troll! I'm stopping!