4 dependents and a dream

PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

I know people who work for QSi as well, several of them still in Italy (i KNOW those teachers werent getting a housing allowance or housing). Your experiences do not mirror nor are they identical to everyone elses experiences. Its a common egocentric bias to think that your experiences will extrapolate to everyone elses experiences. That said its good to have a large basis of responses, my experiences arent any more valid or infallible then anyone elses. Im happy you have a better more first hand (feet on the ground, ear to the wall) response of the QSI experience. Its very valuable and valued on this board, and we need more of them not less.

Aside from that were just going to have to disagree.

Lastly, Im not changing my grammar/spelling usage (though I love grammar and spelling gnomes), whatever form of "there" etc. My iPad wants to predict is fine with me. I view this forum as speaking not writing. Phonetically they are functionally the same (I also dont believe in using apostrophes). Id repeat my long explanation, but ive posted it half a dozen times, and no one on this board has changed my view or opinion.
koda

Re: 4 dependents and a dream

Post by koda »

[quote="FlTravelers"]My wife and I have decided to seriously attempt securing a teaching position overseas. However, we do have 4 children. Our 2 boys will be four next year and the girls will be 6. We can be flexible on things like dependent travel and similar benefits if that kind of thing can be negotiated. But before we spend a great deal of energy and resources in a job hunt, what I am wondering is, is 4 dependents too many to make a successful run at teaching internationally?

If not, are there any regions/schools in particular that would be a posibility?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Hi, as a few other people have stated, I would look into QSI. They allow for you to have 4 dependents and would be a great way to get your foot in the door in international teaching. I am at one of the schools in Eastern Europe and I am very happy at my school. The entire staff, local and expatriate are super nice and accommodating. We have one family that has three children who works here and they were given a beautiful 4 bedroom apartment. QSI finds housing for you, and if you do not like it, you are able to move. One of the teachers had an apartment that had a pipe burst, and they moved her into a new apartment immediately. I've been very happy with the school- both professionally and personally. I feel like you get what they say you will get. Though some of the schools are in harder areas and you have to deal with more hardships- I know of someone in the caucuses who has to deal regularly with no hot water or no water, but I personally haven't had to deal with that where I am.

My only other comment, is with 4 children- look at the ages of the kids and then look at the school size- you can have a bit of a choice with QSI, but some schools are small and therefore lack kids at certain levels, which might make it hard for your kids socially. So keep that in mind while searching.
Good luck!!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

With four kids you are going to really want to make sure the school is a good fit not only for you but for your children. We always like to imagine that our kids will fit in anywhere and that as long as they are with us then it will be ok. Well, from my experience, this is only true for so long and that if your kids are unhappy I can guarantee you will be unhappy as well.

We have been fortunate to have recruiters flat out tell us that our kids wouldn't be happy at their school and that we should look at other options, and we have been at schools where our kids have been both happy and shall we say less than happy. In hindsight we could have made different choices but weren't thinking that far ahead.

Obviously your kids are going to be with you for awhile and depending on what your career goals are, this may be the just the first of several times you are going to have to go out and do a great sales job. Its just something to think about if you plan on remaining overseas.

With your boys being four next year you will need to go to a school/country where you can afford daycare-either in home or in an outside facility or go to a school that provides pre-K, which many but not all do. Maids and ayis in SE Asia are affordable and generally provide great care, as well as language lessons for your kids. The same is not true, at least the affordable part, in Eastern Europe. You will also find that you will probably be spending an inordinate amount of time at school and you need to realize your kids will be spending it there with you if there are no other care alternatives.

You might want to investigate the composition of the student body with regards to nationality as it can sometimes be difficult for the lone student or two to break into the majority group. This is from my family's experience.

There are schools out there that are more family or community oriented that might work better for your family and at the other end there are huge schools out there that offer a ton of things for students to do on any day of the week which is great.

Where is the school located in terms of potential housing is another question to ask. You don't necessarily want your kids riding a bus with you for an hour each day. Can you buy a car, we have friends who made the expensive choice to buy cars because riding with kids in buses and taxis was (and can be) very hairy and dangerous.

What will the medical care be like, our son was bitten by a snake in our backyard in SE Asia and essentially the only option was to wait and see what happened as any medical care was too far away to be of any help. Fortunately he was alright but as a parent it makes you stop and take a very deep breath.

How easy is it, both physically and $wise, to go on holiday. Six plane tickets will add up after awhile. I know this seems a bit petty but its an important consideration.

I don't think anyone will tell you that there is not a snowball's chance of getting hired but having four kids is a definite disadvantage and believe me, schools are always looking for the advantage. You have great academic and work related qualifications but your kids are part of your qualifications and they will be considered by each and every school as they shuffle through the resumes and CVs.

Good luck with your search, its a great lifestyle for the most part and your kids will benefit immensely if you are successful.
FlTravelers

Post by FlTravelers »

Thanks for all the great info and insight. I think we are going to move forward and start our research. No one said it couldn't be done just that it was going to be difficult, which was helpful in making the choice. We'll look at all the options we're given (if any :-) ) and hopefully we'll find something that is doable. If not, we like our jobs now, we'd just love a chance to live overseas for a time.

Again, we appreciate all the great info and insight. Some things mentioned I wouldn't have thought about while looking for a position.
PsyGuy

Thoughts

Post by PsyGuy »

If you havent noticed, IS teaching is a world without a lot of absolutes, theres almost always an exception, or an experience, where someone beat the odds/trend, or had something out of the ordinary happen. No ones going to tell you its not impossible, because its not, but 4 dependents is a hiring challenge, make no mistake. You could very easily spend a couple thousand in membership fees and fair attendance for the both of you and easily come out with nothing.
redster

Post by redster »

Hey, QSI Schools also have full day 4 yo pre school. That should be part of the package.
PsyGuy

Update

Post by PsyGuy »

Received an email back from the President/CEO of QSI, Mr. Gilson:

[Relevant Portion of Text]

"QSI provides quality housing in a variety of modern settings to its overseas hired professional staff and teachers. We make every effort to make the transition of our new teachers as easy as possible. In some locations housing is provided in the form of a monetary stipend, and in other situations accommodations are provided directly. Our one exception to this is at our school in Italy, where local economic factors and regulations make this prohibitive.".
trebleclef

Post by trebleclef »

FITravelers,
My husband and I have 3 dependents. We have interviewed with QSI and are considering accepting their teaching offers. They do, indeed, provide housing, not just an allowance. It is clearly stipulated in the contract, and it is consistent in each one of their school settings. Also, they pay full tuition for each of your dependents, up to 4 children. Taking into account that your paycheck is in dollars and not taxed, and that housing and tuition are paid for, it seems that we could live very comfortably on the salary and benefits package they offer. Having children experience another culture is an invaluable thing...don't give up the dream!