China

newboy

China

Post by newboy »

Does anyone know about Dipont Education. I have read some bad things and some good things including ISR. Have a possible job offer but wonder if all the bad things are true. Interested to hear comments as it is the first time in an international job.
Thanks
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I've known people who helped run summer programs for them. Based on what I heard (mostly 2nd hand knowledge here), I'd expect them to have Chinese management practices more common to language schools than international schools.

Things to expect in a Chinese-run school (based on experience that is about 5 - 6 years old): you won't know what exact days are holidays because the government sets national holidays a few weeks before they happen, your duties and obligations may change regardless of what your contract states, resources to teach may be hard to access even when they are at the school because of internal school politics, not being consulted about changes to school policy or procedures even when they have a direct impact on your teaching situation, a lack of long term planning/scheduling by the school administration, lower salary than international school with international students (non-Chinese passport holders) and generally a heavy handed top-down management style.

Being willing and able to cope with the above issues would be useful. I would be surprised if a place like Dipont Education had a lot of teachers who stay there long or those who have spent much time teaching internationally, because after 2 - 3 years of experience I think they'd have better options if they were willing to search.

They seem to be a company that gets hired to run O level/A level/AP/IB programs at well-regarded Chinese local schools to prepare them for overseas study at the university level. These schools almost certainly have tough entrance requirements, so the students will be much better than average. In fact, you will probably have intelligent, motivated students, but I suspect the students' English abilities will vary quite a bit based on the students they had at their summer program.

I would not choose to work for a school like this one, but it's really a personal decision based on what you are looking for and what options you'll have given your experience and field.

Good luck.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I interviewed with them earlier this year. They told me that they could only offer me an ESL position, despite the fact that they were advertising for IB and IGCSE positions. The IB and IGCSE positions only go to people who have been working with them for a few years, so I passed.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

We interviewed with them before.

They really could not tell us for certain where in China we would end up. It seems the schools are Chinese school which have a small section run by Dipont. We thought we could end up feeling pretty isolated if we were out in the sticks with no other foreigners plus not speaking the language.

We were put off by the fact that one of the interviewers started blaming the teachers at the school for not being flexible enough. We had asked about facilities and it seems like in some schools teachers had to move around quite a bit and were not happy.

I think if we hadn't had any experience we would have gone for it though and it probably would have been okay. The money is good and China is cheap. However it is expensive to fly out of the country as it is so big but you should be able to save.
PsyGuy

True Mostly

Post by PsyGuy »

The bad things are mostly true, but what your not hearing are the good things. Most of the programs are at/in tier 2 schools, so you get some smarter/higher caliber kids. The curriculum is fully supplied, so all you have to do is deliver it (your preps will be easy, if you know your subject). The salary is good, and so is the rest of the compensation contract. its a nice benefit that after 2 years you get to transfer to another school in their system (but the waiting list for some locations like Italy, can be very long). Their admin/management practices can be very "corporate".

That being said their are too many bad experiences, not to have some merit to some of the bad practices going on. If your new, inexperienced, or looking for a good tier 2 position, you could do a lot worse.
bebeh46

Interview

Post by bebeh46 »

I have an interview with them, any tips?
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

I think you should make sure they know that you are happy to be flexible, that you will be happy to work with mainly Chinese and are not looking for an expat bubble lifestyle. Also if you have any experience with ESL students that would be worth mentioning.
bebeh46

Interview

Post by bebeh46 »

Thanks very much - I will remember that for the interview

I have not lived the expat lifestyle so I am unsure what it involves but I will be sure to be realistic although I am intrigued about the expat bubble and those in it. My partner is a chinese national and we have been together for 5 years and feel it is time to go China for him to develop his career.

I get very nervous in interviews for some reason so I am trying to prepare myself as much as possible. They have not asked for me to teach anything at the interview which is something that usually happens in interviews in the UK.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

It is easy to go to another country but just have expat friends and go to expat restaurants etc. It can be hard to integrate unless you make a real effort.

So if that is what you are looking for they will know you are not the one for the job as you might end up out in the sticks with very few expats. However having a Chinese hubby should work in your favor here.

I don't think many international schools outside Europe ask for you to teach a class for the interview, something which I don't miss at all.
bebeh46

Post by bebeh46 »

That's true-some interviews I have attended last all day here. Thanks for the information.