ISM vs. Brent

PsyGuy

Hope this helps

Post by PsyGuy »

Here is the package for ISm (according to their Search profile page)

Compensation:

BA +4 years: $43K
MA +8 years: $45K
Housing: $18,000/yr (provided by school)
Utilities: $5,000/yr water/electricity/cooking gas
Furniture: Basic necessities provided
Moving Allowance: $3,000 for Singles, $4,500 Couples
Storage Allowance: None
Settling In Allowance: $2000 (1st year only)
Airfare: 1 Year (Business Class)

Contract Details:

Contract Days: 190
Sick Days: 10
Insurance: World Wide Medical, Life
Retirement Plan: 8% of basic salary
Tuition Waivers: 2

Brent has 2 vacancies posted: 1 for elementary 1-3, and 1 for elementary 4-6 (both updated on 1/26/2012)
wrldtrvlr123

Re: package at ISM

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="manila"][quote="MC1977"]Could someone in the know please let me know what kind of package ISM offer? I need a benchmark to compare to.

Package is great at ISM now. $$$ + decent housing, some utilities, medical, flights, shipping, gratuities etc. One of best deals on the circuit these days I reckon. They look after their teachers too. You won't complain about the money.[/quote]

Actually, if you look at the savings potential quotient (which is how I judge package), ISM lists their's as $25K for a teaching couple. That's good/solid, but far from one of the best (about half).

I have no idea how the pleasures of living in Manila compensate for that, but it would certainly be worth investigating.
PsyGuy

Savings

Post by PsyGuy »

I always found that "savings potential" box confusing. I have to ask myself does the person filling it out, actually ask other teachers or do they do it based on themselves? Then their are times when its just strange, like what do you mean you can only save $1,000???
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Savings

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I always found that "savings potential" box confusing. I have to ask myself does the person filling it out, actually ask other teachers or do they do it based on themselves? Then their are times when its just strange, like what do you mean you can only save $1,000???[/quote]

True. I always take those $1000's to mean that they really think you can just break even, but felt that 0 would look so much worse.

What's interesting is when you talk to people at those schools and they give a different story, usually offering a better savings potential than the person who filled out the form.

Singapore is an example of a place that has schools that pay $70K plus, give housing allowances ($3000 per month in some cases) and then say savings potential is minimal ($16K for a couple, each making $70K+). Confusing.
PsyGuy

Wondering

Post by PsyGuy »

I wonder if it might be a legal issue. For instance could a teacher perhaps comeback and say "You said Id be able to save $X amount of money and I didn't", and maybe thats the motivation for some of those low estimates.

Then again they could just as easily not want to bother with it, and picked a number randomly???

I agree 140K combined for a couple, housing covered and i can save 10%. What is there a big hole people toss their money in every year as a sacrifice to the gods or something?
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Perhaps that hole belongs to a lady of the night
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I've had numerous (questionable) colleagues that find their ample salary insufficient and living month to month. It's the after-hours pleasures that seem to drain the finances, not day to day costs in any location. Then again, most of my beers provided cheap or free courtesy of people on executive expat packages....such is life
PsyGuy

OK

Post by PsyGuy »

OK I wont disagree with that in practicality, but why would an admin filling out their Search School profile factor that kind of variable into their mental equation when stating "savings potential"???

Would you be suggesting separate "naughty" and "nice" savings potentials?

If so then "savings" would get really complicated very quickly with all the different possible scenarios, that would effect someones "savings"??? One for men, one for woman, one for older, one for younger, one for westerners, one for easterners, etc, etc. It could be a pretty long list.

Im a single guy and ill be the first to admit that nightlife can be expensive, but not anymore so then the married guy with a spouse and two kids, or even just the married guy. In Sinagpore as an example you can head out to Geylang and drop $200 for an hour, or hit a club on Muhammad Sultan and drop the same $200 in a night, or hit a restaurant on Orchard road with the spouse and kids, which could just as easily run up to the same $200 bill.

Living "well" (however you define it) costs money no matter who you are. You can be a single homebody just as easily as be a miser with a family. Savings has more to do with who "YOU" are more so then where you are or how much you make.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Perhaps it is also related to cooking skill.....and or drinking ability

I think heads are either being conservative or average it from what they know. If a prudent person should save those numbers easily, and have room for more. But I personally believe that the money is meant to be spent, not a low interest loan to a bank, so I do go out for those nice dinners with the kids.

From the naughty point of view, you could pay them a million more, and they will spend it all and save nothing.