Looking for Feedback

caliteacher

Re: Looking for Feedback

Post by caliteacher »

noncommun--I'm new to these forums, but my first question would be: why are you waiting to sign up w SA? From my own searches, there are tons of jobs for French speaking IS around the world. Plus, I think your literature background could only be a plus for your recruitment. If you are flexible to travel to other countries, you are probably a stronger candidate than myself!.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the scale--it's just a rough estimate of what schools are looking for. But you never know: one school could be looking for someone exactly like you. But if you don't sign up now, you'll never know.

good luck..
nomcommun

Post by nomcommun »

@Walter: French government involvement in admin decisions sounds like a nightmare. French bureaucracy is quite infamous. About your comment on the affordability of childcare, it's one of the reasons I ruled out most of Europe for myself.

@caliteacher: I want to have the relocation paperwork from the court in my hands before I apply anywhere, so that I can assuage any concerns schools might have as far as potential drama from my ex-husband. If that somehow comes early, I may speed up my timeline, but since my ex has a diagnosed condition that makes him both paranoid and a procrastinator, I planned my timeline around the worst case scenario. Thanks for the input, and best of luck to you as well.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Walter

its encouraging. You still dont know what you think you know. Swiss citizens are EU citizens.
All the problems that plague education are everywhere. Water is also wet.
chanidee

Post by chanidee »

nomcommun:
Regarding looking at places in the middle east and race relations, my best friend has been teaching in Doha for the past few years with his wife and now daughter. he doesn't love it there but it's livable, they have a life, friends, etc and are making/saving a good amount of money...no more than a good amount, a substantial amount. obviously they have two incomes so it would be a little different for you
societal stigma aside, if you are somewhere like Qatar, Oman, or the UAE, there's nothing you have to worry about legally being a single mother, since the child is already here (if you were pregnant that would be an issue)
re: race relations, due to the high number of migrant workers from Africa, there is quite a bit of discrimination. however, once they realize you're American, in general it's no longer a problem and you're treated with a certain level of respect. I don't think it's just because you're American but more so because you're American and not from ...fill in the blank African country
my friend got called the Arabic word for slave last year by one of his students. I don't really buy into the whole "they didn't know any better" thing when it comes to racist incidents like that one, but he felt that the child didn't particularly understand the gravity of what he was saying. coupled with the fact that it really is almost like living in a caste system there and teachers are maybe a step or so above the nannies and drivers. it was still hurtful though

I just said a bunch of negative stuff, but I wanted to give you a clear picture, since you are literally the first person I've seen on this forum discuss race and how it affects you when overseas and during the job search. but with that being said, I don't think you should count out the Middle East as an option. my friend's daughter is in an absolutely amazing (and expensive) nursery school where she is developing at a much faster rate than I think she would here in the US.

and btw I employed the same tactic of searching websites for faculty pictures before I applied to a school. if there were no minorities, I just didn't bother applying. in this huge world, if you somehow manage to have not a single person of color at your school, it's deliberate.
peachestotulips

Post by peachestotulips »

chanidee wrote:

> I just said a bunch of negative stuff, but I wanted to give you a clear
> picture, since you are literally the first person I've seen on this forum
> discuss race and how it affects you when overseas and during the job
> search.

Actually there's an entire section of this site dedicated to non-Caucasian international teachers. It's been discussed, but overall minorities are still a minority in the world of international education.
https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... -overseas/
chanidee

Post by chanidee »

peachestotulips wrote:
> chanidee wrote:
>
> > I just said a bunch of negative stuff, but I wanted to give you a clear
> > picture, since you are literally the first person I've seen on this forum
> > discuss race and how it affects you when overseas and during the job
> > search.
>
> Actually there's an entire section of this site dedicated to non-Caucasian international
> teachers. It's been discussed, but overall minorities are still a minority in the
> world of international education.
> https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... -overseas/

never stumbled upon that before. thanks!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

PsyGuy,

Switzerland is NOT a member of the EU. Swiss citizens are NOT European Union citizens. There is an agreement between Switzerland and the EU regarding working privileges, but don't ever confuse the two.

Just my two halalas,

Shad

"The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU 's single market. Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals."
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

There is nothing to confuse, technically no one is an EU citizen, they are citizens of EU member nations, they dont get a separate EU passport.

Yes Switzerland is part of the EU, and Swiss citizens for a nation that is in general neutral, their participation in and part of the EU has a different definition than many of the other EU members. Its a difference without a practical distinction.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

You really are too proud to admit you are wrong. Switzerland is NOT part of the EU, and holding an EU member passport makes one a citizen of the EU. The nation's passport IS an EU passport.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Because Im not wrong, in IE if you have the right to enter, leave, and work your in the same category as citizens. If youre a French Citizen and hold a French passport you get to vote in France, you dont get to move to Italy and vote in Italian elections. There is no such thing as an EU citizen except for members of the EU diplomatic mission (IE InterPol issues its own passports). Regardless of how you obtain those attributes (enter, live, work) whether by one treaty or another is a technical difference without distinction.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Sorry, but no. Switzerland is not bound by EU laws, and its citizens are not EU citizens. EU citizenship is essentially supplemental to member state citizenship and DOES in fact afford the right to vote in European elections (Swiss citizens cannot vote in EU elections). Switzerland IS part of Schengen, however (and the UK and Ireland, which are part of the EU, are not Schengen states).

You are just plain wrong on this one.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

No need to be sorry, your just wrong. Switzerland is bound by EU laws by both treaty and in practice. You cant move anything in or out of Switzerland without complying with EU laws. A Swiss citizen could access an EU embassy or consulate abroad, theres a bilateral treaty of cooperation. The treaty rights and benefits of the Swiss are essentially the same as EU member citizens.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Ugh. No. Switzerland is NOT bound by EU laws--only the specific ones it wants to follow. That's why they aren't members--so they can choose to violate EU laws if it is their preference (and they do). They DO have numerous bilateral treaties with the EU, but they ARE NOT part of the EU and are NOT bound by EU laws--only by those outlined in their various bilateral treaties. It is NOT the same as EU membership. Yes, they are part of Schengen, EFTA, and and yes, they have agreements regarding security and asylum (embassies), but that is not by default as it is with EU membership, but instead because of these separately negotiated bilateral agreements. Swiss cannot vote in EU elections. And of course you can't move anything in and out of Switzerland without following EU laws since it 1) has bilateral agreements which require those laws to be followed and 2) it is surrounded by EU member states who ARE bound by those laws.

Violation of part of the bilateral agreement invalidates the whole thing. The bilateral agreements need to be revisited by voters regularly. There are all kinds of differences between Switzerland and EU states. No, really!

Seriously, this is fact checking 101.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Ugh, yes it is, Switzerland has to follow every single EU law in regards to import/export, and movement. They cant even fly a jet out without complying with and crossing some other countries airspace. You cant walk out of Switzerland without moving through another country. Switzerland is one of the many 'asterisks' in the EU. Just as the UK gets to keep its currency, Switzerland has a different agreement and treaty that dont confer EU membership, but in practice and in action functions as an EU country. The EU agreements are addressed at regular times as well, the UK is considering a referendum on its EU membership.

As it applies to IE and immigration regulation, If you have a Swiss passport you can move, live, work in an EU country,beyond that the differences are differences without distinctions.
Otherwise your agreeing with me in practice, and arguing over a label.
Walter

Post by Walter »

I appreciate that this is a bit arcane for the regular reader, but really, Dave, when you're in a hole, stop digging. Switzerland is not part of the EU. Never has been and never will be.

"The relations between Switzerland and the European Union (EU) are framed by a series of bilateral treaties whereby the Swiss Confederation has adopted various provisions of European Union law in order to participate in the Union's single market.
"In February 2014, the Swiss voted in a referendum to introduce quotas for all migrants in Switzerland. Such a quota system would, if implemented, violate the agreement between Switzerland and the European Union on the free movement of persons, and so terminate all the various bilateral agreements between Switzerland and the European Union."

A few months ago, the Swiss had another plebiscite, which, had it passed, would have meant that any foreigner breaking the law (including traffic offenses) would be liable to deportation. The consequence of that would have been the termination of all those same bilateral agreements. Canada, too, has negotiated many of the same bilateral agreements with the EU that Switzerland has. Do you think Canada is in the EU? The UK has a vote in May about whether to secede from the EU. The Brexit supporters also want to negotiate a Swiss-style series of bilateral agreements. Do you think they would go to all this trouble if EU Membership versus Bilateral Agreement Status were one and the same?