Music jobs?

kathrynt

Music jobs?

Post by kathrynt »

Does anyone out there know about the competition for music teaching jobs at the moment? I have a Masters and 12 years experience ( 5 internationally in China) but have been on a career break for the last 4 years having my 2 children. I am thinking of trying for local hire positions because of the dependants issue.....
Thanks
overseasvet2

music

Post by overseasvet2 »

You're not clear what type of music position you've been doing. Are you elementary? Secondary choir? Band?

Good music teachers are hard to find so I wouldn't settle for a local contract unless you get to June and have no other options. Two children is not a big deal if a school really needs your talents.

If you've been in an international school, you probably know the arts positions are also about show. Can you put on classy production and guide the students to sound really good?

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Expansion

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with overseasvet, for a school needing a music teacher, good ones are hard to find. One reason is that most music teachers at international schools really need to be able to do everything. There are 74 music vacancies posted on Search (I only checked music general).

Honestly, you should go into any interview or negotiation expecting nothing less then a foreign hire contract, local contracts in China re not very good, at all, and if your skill and experience set is in anyway competitive (which I imagine it is) you shouldnt settle for less.

Since you asked about China, the following schools in China & Hong Kong have Music Vacancies:

Beijing City International School
Dipont Education Management Group, Shanghai etc
Dulwich College Beijing
Dulwich College Suzhou
International School of Tianjin
Shanghai American School
Shanghai Community International School - Hangzhou International School
Suzhou High School
Western International School of Shanghai
Xiamen International School
YK Pao School Secondary (Boarding)
Hong Kong Academy
The Independent Schools Foundation Academy (Hong Kong)
kathrynt

Post by kathrynt »

Thanks very much for all the helpful and informative comments. I have general experience across the age range and feel much more confident now so will just go for it!
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Bali International school are also looking for a PYP (Elementary) music teacher.