Life after QSI

mathgym

Life after QSI

Post by mathgym »

I've been with QSI for a few years now and for the most part like it, but am nervously thinking about moving on after next year. My question is...Is their life after QSI? A few teachers at the school are searching for jobs right now and are coming up empty. Is this because of the economy or is it hard to break out of QSI? Do other international schools look down on teachers work for QSI? Do you have experience getting a job at another international school after your QSI career?
KelBel

Post by KelBel »

I am very interested in the answer to this question posted above. I'd also be curious to know about the few teachers that are coming up empty handed. Did they go to any job fairs? Do they have Master's degrees? Did they teach prior to QSI? Just wondering.
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

KelBel, The teachers I know of: some went to a fair, at least 1 has a masters degree, some taught before QSI, others no. Sorry, not too helpful.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Great topic. This is one of the reasons I didn't accept a position with them, not to mention an overindulgent interest in my Christian upbringing and positions only open in Kerplakistan.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

As a QSI graduate I can atest to the fact that there is life after QSI, though we heard more than one snicker and derogatory comment from directors and principals about QSI at the fair we attended.
KelBel

Post by KelBel »

I wonder if this is a better question: "Is working internationally for QSI better than NOT working internationally at all"

2 years of "international teaching" seems to be the minimum needed for the great schools (international ESL doesn't count) so would 2 years with QSI get your foot in the door?

Glad to know that Overhere has had success after QSI. Overhere, did any of your QSI collegues move on as well?
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

Like Overhere, I too am a graduate of QSI and can say that there is life after. You have to make yourself marketable and present yourself well. Keep in mind that when leaving QSI, if all you have are the years of experience there with no other skills (IB or AP experience for example), and your field is not in heavy demand (i.e. Physics), then you probably won't be moving straight from QSI to a top tier school. You'll have to move up the ranks slowly, gaining additional experience and adding to your resume. My best advice: don't give up and don't sell yourself short!
Danda

Post by Danda »

I'm a bit worried about this too. I spent two years with QSI at my first post and now transferred to another. I plan to stay here for 3-5 years and then most likely look outside of QSI. Hopefully, I can end up at a higher end school. I doubt it will be a top-tier school but maybe a good stepping stone to one of the better schools out there. In the meantime, I'm teaching AP US History for which I successfully completed the course audit this past December and will be teaching AP World History next year. I've also started a MEd in leadership which I will complete by the end of next year.

I hope that I can land a decent job with a MEd and 3-5 years of teaching AP and 7-10 total years of teaching. We'll see. My wife also plans to earn an advanced degree but most likely won't have the AP experience. She is working towards a few more certifications.

@ Dredge: I can’t believe you weren’t interested in a job in Kerplakistan. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Kerplakistan as the Kerplaks are some of the warmest and most generous souls I’ve ever met. I can remember going over to countless homes to eat zdrvstok with them. For those that aren’t familiar with the Kerplak language, zdrvstok is a bit like haggis but made from a marmot stomach. Plus, Kerplak women are some of the most amazingly beautiful stick-thin whorishly dressed women in the world. You truly missed out there. As they say in Kerplakistan, “Kerplaka kerplaka plaka ker ker plaka plaka kerplaka plaka,â€
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Genius. Can't stop laughing.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

There is worse than QSI and there is better.
I heard snickers too. There really are 2 camps. Those that think QSI is not that great and those that will hire you knowing that you have survived hardship posts etc. I think the world economy is slowly catching up to the international market as well and everyone is finding it more difficult. Don't take it personally.