Getting foreign hire status in my husband's country

twostars

Getting foreign hire status in my husband's country

Post by twostars »

Let's see if you all can give me some advice...

My husband is a diplomat (from Latin America). For the past four years we have been posted in Asia, and I teach at an international school here. At the end of the year we'll get sent back to his country for at least two years, and of course I'll try to get a job in an international school there. I have Master's degree and the Teacher Award for PYP, plus a couple of years of experience, so I think I'm a pretty decent catch...

Ideally, I'd like to see if I can get hired from abroad, because the benefits and pay would be much better. We don't own an apartment, and my husband's salary will be quite low. However, I'm not sure how this would work? I can't say I'm not married, but of course schools would not have the typical "trailing spouse" worries that would apply to other couples where only one is a teacher. If anything, I might be more attractive to them because I've lived in the country before, speak the language, have a support structure, etc. Then again, they might not want to give me other benefits if they know my husband is getting transferred anyway?

This is going to be an issue every time we move, especially once we have kids since my husband's country usually doesn't pay school fees or housing as a benefit (don't even get me started on this...) There must be a ton of other people in the same situation, any advice/stories to share? Might I be able to negotiate the foreign hire salary without benefits, for example?

Thanks!
bedu teacher

getting foreign hire status

Post by bedu teacher »

Unfortunately, I don't have much advice yet, but you just described my situation exactly (my husband is from Middle East though)!

You have the benefit of experience - I'm just now completing my MSEd. What I have found is that some schools treat foreign hires and local hires fairly equitably in terms of salary and tuition benefits. With those that don't - I was hoping to negotiate a salary and/or tuition benefits comparable (or nearly so) to foreign hire status and emphasize the fact that I don't need the housing, flight, visa and health insurance benefits. I am hoping to find some sort of compromise.

I guess my advice would be to be frank when dealing with schools in your husband's country - you may want to come back to them in subsequent posts home. I would highlight the benefits of hiring someone who can hit the ground running and then negotiate a comparable package (minus perhaps the flights or housing) because you have the same training and experience as the foreign hires.

Good luck!
olympe

Post by olympe »

I'm more or less in the same situation than you although we have it a bit easier as my husband's company pays for the accomodation and our kids education fees. Anyways, I still want to have an overseas contract so I am currently applying from where I am now instead of waiting to be in the country and then having to be local hired.

So, as soon as you know which country you will be relocated next , apply and explain the situation. You have big advantages , your PYP certificate and experience in the IB system to start with is really looked after. We are moving to Hong KOng and most of the schools there are IB world schools and want IB trained teachers. The other good thing is that you can offer stability to your Head. Your husband will be relocated for 4-5 years so you are not likely to move after a 2 year contract.

Your main problem will come once you have kids but there are schools who do pay up to 2 children and my last school in Shanghai paid for 3!
Here in Bern, teachers at the international school regarding their status have to pay only 10% of the fees. it even applies for TAs.
Good luck!
twostars

Post by twostars »

Thanks guys!

As I suspected, there is no easy answer to the problem, each school will have a different approach.