why does no one answer e-mails---- or answer with a no!

counselor583

why does no one answer e-mails---- or answer with a no!

Post by counselor583 »

Hello,
This is my first year trying to look for a job in an international school. I would really like to be in Latin America. I am registered with Search and TIE.. So I have been e-mailing schools directly and through Search for counselor positions and either no one answers or I get a "you don't have the right experience for the job"

I have worked in a public school for 2 years as a school psychologist and all through grad school (part time) I taught ELL plus I have been volunteering abroad for the past 5 summers in schools, shelters, NGOs in Latin America.

So any tips on how to get schools interested in me?

If a school says they are not interested and the job is still open months down the road is it OK to re-contact and try to sell my self again?

If a school doesn't answer my e-mails and I follow up once should I quit emailing, I hate to be a pest or seem like a stalker.

Does the fact that I am a school psych not a counselor hurt me? I do groups and individual counseling a lot currently, I'm looking at counselor jobs because there just aren't many school psych jobs out there right now.

I'm registered for the Cambridge fair but I wonder if it is worth going without having made prior contacts.

Maybe next years once I have 3 years of experience I'd have a better shot???
Any tips or advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

In the materials I got from my Search associate, it said that administrators are really busy, get dozens of e-mails a day, and often don't respond; it also said not to be too concerned. Before my first fair three years ago, I also sent out a lot of emails with my resume and got maybe one reply. When I got to the fair, I had all the interviews I wanted and ended up at a school I'd contacted previously.

Now I'm starting up the process again, and yes, it's a little unnerving, but I'm keeping positive and am attending the Cambridge fair. I think my age may be a factor, and my supervisor (who hired me) recommended I go to a fair so they can meet me face to face.
counselor583

Post by counselor583 »

I heard that too, about administrators being busy, some of the schools I am interested in aren't attending the fair I am, and I can't attend more than one because of money and work. Do you think contacting the schools again is a good idea or will they eventually get to my information if they are interested?
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

You are not alone here, I've sent out around 20 emails. I received about 5 replies which consisted of 'thank you for your interest'. I did have 3 schools email me to arrange an interview based on my profiles at UNI / Search, but they are all in less desirable locations with somewhat dubious repuatations on this site.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have some notes in my file at the beginning of the fairs that I'll be attending.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Thanks for posting, as I am encountering a similar situation. I'm a high school counselor, and my wife teaches high school science. We have 3 years of successful international teaching experience. We have contacted around 15 schools, and attached cover letters, resumes, and letters of rec as a .pdf. We haven't heard anything back, other than automated responses. Kind of frustrating, but I'm sure something will come up.
counselor583

Post by counselor583 »

Yes it is frustrating... I do understand they are busy at this time of the year though.... but what I really want to know is do you think it is OK to e-mail again???? A lot of the schools that I am interested in are going to fairs I can't attend so I had two thoughts..
1..... Email them before those fairs checking to see if they got the e-mail and see if they had any questions or would like any additional info...

2...... Email them after the fairs they attended if the job was still open.

So far I sent most schools an e-mail with the info they requested and about two weeks later a just checking to see if you got everything email... if I have heard nothing and won't be at one of their fairs should I just stop trying to contact them? Is it worth giving it another shot or is that too desperate sounding?
counselor583

Post by counselor583 »

Nikkor
Did you check out the International School of Vienna in Austria? I know someone who worked there and really liked the school and the package looks great, they seem to have a biology and counselor opening, you should check it out!