economy's impact on schools/jobs

akoliska

economy's impact on schools/jobs

Post by akoliska »

Is your school hiring fewer people? Have your administrators said anything about the impact of the economy on your school? I'd love to hear people's views.

It seems logical that companies will not bring over so many expats, and local economies in recession in Europe/Asia/etc. will impact local families and their choice to send children to I.Schools.

Does this make it a better or worse time to head to a new country? It seems a bit of a gamble--maybe it is easier to land a job in a desired destination, but one is counting on economic recovery.

What do you think?
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Definitely! My school in Europe will be affected significantly. Several multinationals are heading home and thus our enrolment will be lower than expected. The board’s reaction to this has been to not replace many teachers who are at the end of their contracts or those that have decided to leave. This means heavier teaching loads for all. The board is also in the process of redrafting employment contracts in order to eliminate certain benefits. Our teacher’s union here is ready to go to war!!!

I have heard from teachers at my previous three posts who under regular circumstances would have decided to move on to other schools are staying put due to the global financial meltdown.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

I'm surprised that there haven't been more posts on this topic. Honestly I feel that I am in a bubble. So far my school has cut back on a few extra wish listed supplies becasue of fewer corporate donations.

I think many schools will see a delayed impact because it is very expensive to move corporate people home mid contract especially if they have paid housing a year in advance and must come up with more cash for moving and temp housing in the states. Here I am hearing that companies are not wanting to spend that cash and are leaving people in place and hoping for the turn around to come. They may not send any new people, but they are not pulling families early. Many overseas companies can not function in certain markets without these overseas managers. If they could it would be much cheaper to train local hires to replace them. In the long run it is more profitable to have the overseas plant/office more effectively run. if they are pulling out the market or going bankrupt then that is different. I think next years recruiting season and the 2010-11 school year may be the roughest.
Candycane

Fear

Post by Candycane »

The state of the economy has affected my school.

I am worried about what the upcoming year holds for all of us. We have gotten an email or two from our director telling us that hard times are coming.

My school is renegotiating teacher contracts as well. YIKES!!!

Teachers are being denied personal days and leave (even though the law says they should have it).

Teachers have been refused return airfare as there is a new director now. One teacher got it (b/c she had an email to prove that the previous director said she got a return ticket), but her boyfriend didn't.

What can you do without putting your job at risk? Seriously, who wants to "rock the boat" in these times? If you plan to leave, fine. However, if you are staying, you risk putting yourself up as an easy target for elimination if need be. Right?

I am keeping my mouth shut and figure I might be here longer than planned. I don't want to complain about anything and run the risk of possibly "shooting myself in the foot".

Just grinning and bearing it and hoping I still have a job next year!
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Does it seem that schools in expensive Western Europe are most affected?
Maybe Dubai? Anyone else?