"americanisms" that annoy

calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

[i]Estadunidenses[/i] loosely translates to [i]unitedstatsians[/i] and is used in the Spanish speaking world. Also, North and South America is referred to as just America. In most of Latin America, it's considered one continent.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="ChoirGuy"][quote="fke"]I tip as well. Pretty much every time I use a taxi. I also pay my maid more than others, but I don´t care. It makes a difference for them.

An Americanism that grates is this: calling the States-- America and its people Americans. I didn´t get it for the longest time, but now I agree. It smacks of arrogance in Latin America. There is a good reason for it (American was used, I think, after the civil war to unite the country), but I don´t say it here. But calling the states America is the worst one.[/quote]

Agree to a certain extent, but if Canadians or Brazillians want to call themselves Americans, then that would be fine. Are the French "Europeans"? Also if we can't use American to describe our nationality, what do we call ourselves? Just my two cents, but I'm genuinely interested in a good answer.[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------------

I find it a strange thing to object to, quite frankly. When talking about where one is from, one generally refers to one's country, not one's continent. Our country is the US of America. How could saying that offend anyone?

Obviously it's something hard for me to understand (unless they resent that we named ourselves that in the first place).
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Great topic, I would love to hear others weigh in on the little (or big) annoying things that people from the USA do, that they just don't get.

People from the States calling themselves American is a very valid point to bring up on this thread. As I've lived in Europe and in Asia I have tried to be mindful of that. The problem I often encounter, when someone who isn't a 1st rate English speaker asks me this question, they don't immediately understand, [i]the States[/i] or [i]USA[/i] as a response. They have only been pre-programmed to listen for common terms such as Canada, Germany, America, UK, etc. This puts someone like me in a tough situation.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I either here you guys calling yourselves American or saying which specific state you are from. I would just prefer the US or the USA or the States. Sorry, but people from outside the USA should not be expected to know which state is which or care for that matter.

I've heard a South African refuse to be called African, despite being happy to broadly call his Asian friends Asian, and they are from all over the continent. Needless to say, he was buying the beers for the rest of the night
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

I have tried the "estadounidense" moniker across Latin America and Europe but most non-Americans have no idea what you are saying when you use it. I think at this point in history, for better or for worse, "American" from "America" is pretty much the accepted nomenclature even if it strikes an uncomfortable reflex in some listeners.

If there's one alternative, it would be "norteamericano" which of course doesn't settle the US/Canada/Inuit issue but at least you've started off the conversation with a bit more geographic openness.

Back to the OP's query, I've always thought Americans' idea of what make an acceptable conversational volume was set a bit high...then I went to Italy.
PsyGuy

Only other thing

Post by PsyGuy »

The only other thing that bothers me is the over reliance of alcohol in many cultures regions. In Italy why daily wine consumption would have made me a de-facto alcoholic by american standards. I've always been a pretty light weight drinker, but from Asia to Europe, it seems more inculturated to drink more and more often then back in the USA.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

[quote="Mathman"]I either here you guys calling yourselves American or saying which specific state you are from. I would just prefer the US or the USA or the States. Sorry, but people from outside the USA should not be expected to know which state is which or care for that matter.[/quote]

When I travel in Europe, a lot of people ask what state I'm from. I'm from Texas, so it's a pretty easy association for most people (either cowboys or George Bush). When I lived in Arkansas, it was Little Rock and Bill Clinton. I'm sure it's different for people from, say, Rhode Island or, I don't know, Washington state, which don't seem to have the same presence (and don't have any recent presidents to claim :).

I don't expect people to know my state, but I do think some people enjoy saying, "Oh, Texas? I've heard of that! Now I know you better!"
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

@lightstays

I completely disagree. In my 30 years of experience with Latin America I have rarely heard any one in Spanish refer to the USA as America. They will either say Estados Unidos or Norte America and then use the estadounidense 'moniker'.

As a Latin American, I don't take offence at all at being called exactly that. I also do not use America or American to refer to the USA or anything from there. It might be accepted nomenclature in English, but it is not in Spanish.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

@wrldtrvlr123

It's not about resentment - it's simply about understanding that in Spanish the US is referred to differently. This is why someone from Bolivia or Colombia might find it strange that people from the US use the term American to refer exclusively to themselves.

This is the type of thing that as international educators we need to take note of. If you are teaching a class of predominately South Americans (which is the norm there even in the top tier schools), you should at least be knowledgeable of this fact.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="calciodirigore"]@wrldtrvlr123

It's not about resentment - it's simply about understanding that in Spanish the US is referred to differently. This is why someone from Bolivia or Colombia might find it strange that people from the US use the term American to refer exclusively to themselves.

This is the type of thing that as international educators we need to take note of. If you are teaching a class of predominately South Americans (which is the norm there even in the top tier schools), you should at least be knowledgeable of this fact.[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------

Possibly, but I understood that it was considered disrespectful to call oneself an American in some quarters. That goes way beyond uncommon usage or causing confusion.

Thankfully, I grew up in South Florida (near Miami for those confused by US geography) and so I have no needto/interest in, teaching in South America.
PsyGuy

Respect

Post by PsyGuy »

Respect is a two way exchange. You have to respect their culture, but they also have to respect yours. If my name offended someone, I wouldnt change it just to make them happy. The country is the United States of America, and its residents and citizens are collectively referred to as Americans, thats just the way it is.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Lived in Colombia and Honduras for five years. In my experience locals could care less if you referred to yourself as an American. They just asked if you were from Estadounidense or if you're a gringo. The use of gringo could be good or bad. Depending on the tone or if the F word or puta is used with it.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

[quote="interteach"]That's just the way it is - for some US citizens.[/quote]

I now understand that calling ones self 'americano' in Spanish ca be construed as arrogant; BUT my original question remains: in ENGLISH, what word do we use when asked "What nationality are you?" I need an adjective other than "American" and can't think of one. Suggestions? Polite ones?
bigfatgit

Post by bigfatgit »

I've found that a lot of the Americans in Cairo don't seem to know the words "please" or "thank you"

A perfect example is that well known lemonade stall called the ACE Club in Maadi

Americans tend to walk up to the bar and just say, "Give me a Sakara" and get met with a chorus of "Please" from the Brits sitting at the bar

Is that standard for Americans or is it because of the colour of the bar staff?

I once had a strange incident when I offered 2 American staff a lift in my taxi to Road 9. At the time, the fare was 2LE (about 40 cents). When I got out of the taxi and paid, the 2 Americans went mad because I gave the taxi driver 3LE. "It's because of you, that people have to pay more and get ripped off", they shouted as they walked off from their free ride!!!