Upcoming Search San Francisco fair

alia

Upcoming Search San Francisco fair

Post by alia »

My husband is going to be attending the San Fransisco Search fair next week and as the date approaches, we've been increasingly nervous. This is the first time he's applied for an international job, and I wish we had found this forum sooner as we would have pushed for an earlier fair. Should we be nervous about there not being many jobs left at this point?

From what I'm reading there was a lot of disappointment about fewer quality candidates at the earlier fairs, though it still seems like a lot of schools were settling so to speak. Having never been through this before, should we really be worried that the San Francisco fair will be slim pickings? We've done the research, and I believe we have realistic expectations for a move overseas. We're focused on good Tier 2 schools in southeast Asia, but we're open to almost anywhere in the world. The only things we won't consider are places that are dangerous (Syria, for example), somewhere his salary wouldn't cover the cost of living would (western Europe) or a school that has major issues such as not paying teachers on time or being investigated for fraud.

So will most of the jobs be gone by next week's fair or am I do I need to take a deep breath and step away from the message boards?
Last edited by alia on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Reality

Post by PsyGuy »

Well each successive fair, sees the vacancy pool shrink (vacancies are lost faster then new ones replace them). I dont think you should be worried though because there is very little you can do about it. Of the 2400 vacancies last year about 1100 of them were filled AFTER the Boston fair. That said a few realities:

Your husband is not in a high demand area. Though he sounds like a qualified and competitive candidate. Your open to a lot of places and availability, and your avoiding europe thats a good thing. He should get about 4-8 interviews.

The economy and recession are global. Many teachers are staying put, and schools are seeing reduced enrollment from a drop in Expat postings. This means fewer students and fewer tuition dollars. Their are simply fewer job vacancies, and fewer experienced teachers, with more newbies entering the teaching field.

You do make a more expensive hire, but without kids your better then a lot of family candidates. It will be a factor but not an overly big one.
alia

statistics

Post by alia »

If it's true that there were still 1100 positions filled after the Boston fairs last year then that's a very comforting number. I haven't been able to find numbers like that anywhere. I know that it does little good to worry about the fair when it's too late to go to an earlier one, but I've read so many negative things that it's hard not to worry that most of the good jobs have already been snapped up.

In any event, I'll post a bit about the fair after it's done for people considering going next year. Thanks for the numbers.
PsyGuy

Reflection

Post by PsyGuy »

Well that was last year, this year has seen some sizable shrinkage in attendance. Both in number of vacancies and in available teachers. My estimate is this year there will be around 2000 vacancies (a 20% drop) from last year, which would mean (if the ratio holds) that about 900 post fair vacancies available.

Its true a lot of "good" jobs are gone, but it depends on how you define good, and what your expectations are. At the fair:

1) Dont waste time standing in long lines for elite schools, you only have about 2 hours to signup for interviews. Focus on schools in regions you would go that have vacancies in your teaching field. After youve secured those then you can wait in a long line or two.

2) Be really really likable, seriously trying to impress them with your resume, wont work. They know your a good teacher already. show them how youd make a great addition to their community, and how youd be a positive influence with the students.

3) Be assertive, so many newbies have this, "passive" approach and attitude. At the mixer talk to the recruiters. You should be selling yourself all the time. Slide notes under doors, not in boxes. Boxes take to long, depending when they are checked. Go to the presentations, ask questions, afterwords, give the recruiter your resume, and say youd like to take a minute to tell them how youd be great for their school. Meet for a drink in the bar, or over a meal.

4) Be careful what you say, the candidate boxes are in the candidate lounge, so recruiters can easily eavesdrop on what you say, and how you act. Always assume that your being observed and evaluated.
alia

Thanks for the advice

Post by alia »

Even with fewer positions open this year, those numbers are still higher than what I had been expecting.

Thanks for the good advice all around. My husband really shines in interviews, and has good sense and a professional demeanor so we're not worried about that. And the schools we're most interested seem to be tier 2 schools and are definitely not elite. We've already ranked the schools that are going to be there based on our own criteria--desirable location, lower cost of living, pay packages, school reviews and facilities, and current vacancies. The longer lines will be considered after he's hopefully secured some solid interviews already.
camiguinpiper

Trailing spouse...and 2 kids

Post by camiguinpiper »

alia- Will you be attending the fair as well? I am a trailing spouse too and Search told me to come with my husband. I am totally open to working at the school in a support or secretarial position but I am not sure that will help any. (I have a BA in English and have worked in the film and fashion industries)

It sounds like hiring this year has been a little unusual but as "newbies" we are trying to have realistic expectations and an open mind. I grew up abroad, my parents taught at ISB and TAS and so I am hoping that this history might make us seem a little less green?

Can anyone speak to the level of demand for his qualifications:

Certified Math teacher with 6 years and a Masters. He has taught PE and Technology classes and done lots of coaching. Taught at an IB school but didn't teach any IB classes. He would love to be placed at an IB school to get the training but it sounds like that can be a hard sell (they want experience?).

We are focused on Asia but are of course open to other places.

PsyGuy- I have a few questions.

We are arriving a day early, so should we be slipping his resume and a note in mail slots to attempt to secure interviews ahead of time? We will be pulling an "Ichiro" and have come up with a condensed resume with pictures that showcases his creativity and passion for technology.

Obviously, they will quickly learn that he has a trailing spouse but should we mention our kids right away or wait until we are asked? Is this something they might ask in the sign up session? Should he do this part alone?

I appreciate any feedback!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Trailing spouse...and 2 kids

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="camiguinpiper"]alia- Will you be attending the fair as well? I am a trailing spouse too and Search told me to come with my husband. I am totally open to working at the school in a support or secretarial position but I am not sure that will help any. (I have a BA in English and have worked in the film and fashion industries)

It sounds like hiring this year has been a little unusual but as "newbies" we are trying to have realistic expectations and an open mind. I grew up abroad, my parents taught at ISB and TAS and so I am hoping that this history might make us seem a little less green?

Can anyone speak to the level of demand for his qualifications:

Certified Math teacher with 6 years and a Masters. He has taught PE and Technology classes and done lots of coaching. Taught at an IB school but didn't teach any IB classes. He would love to be placed at an IB school to get the training but it sounds like that can be a hard sell (they want experience?).

We are focused on Asia but are of course open to other places.

PsyGuy- I have a few questions.

We are arriving a day early, so should we be slipping his resume and a note in mail slots to attempt to secure interviews ahead of time? We will be pulling an "Ichiro" and have come up with a condensed resume with pictures that showcases his creativity and passion for technology.

Obviously, they will quickly learn that he has a trailing spouse but should we mention our kids right away or wait until we are asked? Is this something they might ask in the sign up session? Should he do this part alone?

I appreciate any feedback![/quote]

Actually, if they take the time to look, the trailing spouse and children should all be in your Search file. So, it's not something you need to mention at sign up or even a first interview, unless asked (and they will usually ask).

Yes, when you register, you should put a CV and completed interview request slip into the school's folder. Hopefully, you will have communication from schools for you when you get there (it is not the end of the world if you don't, but it gives you a nice little boost to know SOMEONE wants you).

He should be in fairly high demand and I do know of good IB schools that were hiring quite a few teachers right out of the states this year. Some schools may think he is too expensive, but others may not. As for you going to the sign ups, I have seen it done both ways and I don't think there is a wrong answer. Good luck!
alia

not attending

Post by alia »

I am not going to the fair with him. His associate never said anything about it and money is tight so he's going by himself. I'll be at home researching the new schools that pop up and more detailed info about places he's interviewing and relaying info.

I just wish it would get here already. Several positions have disappeared since the Cambridge fair. I'm really hoping some last minute positions pop up to balance it out. I'm curious what your experience will be like as a non-teaching spouse at the fair.
PsyGuy

Responses

Post by PsyGuy »

He sounds like a very competitive teacher especially with Math. Most schools dont take a lot of time with math teachers, they like to scoop them up right away, for fear they will loose the teacher to someone else.

The recruiter will print your husbands profile page off of Search before the interview, so they should already know. I wouldnt mention it otherwise unless hes asked (and they probably will). Id avoid mentioning an interest in employing you on the side, it just means you will sound more expensive.

You could put your resume materials in the mail box, and id bring lots of copies of your resume and your Ichiro, you could also slide them under the door. They post the recruiters room numbers at the search office. So you could separate your materials from everyone else's by sliding it under the door.

You have about 30 seconds when talking to a recruiter when signing up, and you want to lead with your biggest strengths. You also dont want to spend too long in one line and consider alternative subjects like P.E. and maybe technology/computers. There are 23 school that have Math positions that will be in SF only 6 are in Asia (3 in Korea, 2 in China, 1 in Japan) + QSI. Id hit those 7 first saving QSI for near the end (as their line will be long). If you have any time left over Id hit the 3 European schools in this order:

International School Hamburg
AMADEUS Int'l School of Music
American School in London

Forget the middle east schools they will probably send you email invites after sign up, as there are not likely to be a lot of math teacher. When you walk up to the recruiter give them your "Ichiro" and introduce yourself, shake their hand and say "Hi John Doe, Id like some time to discuss how my math experience can be a valuable contribution to your school, what interview slots do you have available". Dont even suggest that they could possibly respond with a no.
camiguinpiper

Post by camiguinpiper »

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses, we really appreciate it.

Alia, I will be sure to let you know how it goes for me at the fair. I think you made a really wise choice though.

I am sure we will post again soon as this forum has been the most forthright and helpful source of information we have found.

Hopefully we will have a destination to funnel our enthusiasm into soon!
PsyGuy

Rational

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt say Hamburg was the MOST toxic, but it does have some bad issues. No one knows about the Vienna school, at least it doesnt have a bad reputation (yet). ASL is a beautiful school, id teach there.

My rational was that on a single salary for a family hed starve in London. Even if they were offered a contract they would go into debt. Its iffy if they would even offer him an interview. So why wait in line, if youd have to say no on the long shot they did interview you.

The Vienna school is new, and no body knows whats going to happen with the school, and Vienna is a very nice place. They also are likely to be less choosey and given they have a lot of recruiting to do, they might be happy to get what they can. At least they are more likely to give him an interview, and its not like he wont have the time with only maybe 7, 30 minute interview slots. Hes going to have a lot of down time, might as well get some interview practice in.

Hamburg isnt the greatest school among the German schools (honestly its pretty near the bottom), I know a guy goingt here this year to teach history. Yes the school has issues but the teaching expectations/workload is pretty easy, and hed get IB experience. Hamburg is a nicer city to have to live in as well. Again, not going to have a whole heck of a lot else to do, assuming he gets all 7 interview slots for the asian schools.

At the end of the fair id rather him have to call his wife and have more choices then fewer choices. Id also rather interview with the three european schools then the middle east schools which will probably be salivating over him.
camiguinpiper

Post by camiguinpiper »

Daisy-thanks for the info on Hamburg, sounds like a less then ideal working environment.

We know that ASL is a long shot and a financial stretch but we had the same thought that it would set us up for success down the road. I have some connections in the UK and think that I could get a job which would be necessary, as going into debt is not part of our game plan!

We love Vienna but can see how going somewhere without a reputation can be risky.

We are also very interested in SSIS but trying to not to be overly enthusiastic about any one school.