Getting jobs in Africa when you are older

Candace

Getting jobs in Africa when you are older

Post by Candace »

Hello, Can anyone help me? I am a white 54 years old and am American teacher. I am certified Language.Arts. Science, and Social Studies middle school (6-8) and History (9-12). I also hold a Master of Arts of Teaching. I want to teach in Lagos ( have family there) or at the very least some where in Nigeria or South Africia. I have a profile on Teacher Horzions and their site articles say that it isn't imposssible for older teachers to get a teaching job. Then I started directly emailing Alex one of the owners of the site and was told it was very diffficult to get a position at my age. I am very discourage at this point. I am well versed in teachnology and the new teaching teachniques as our school mandates PD as a weekly meeting. But according to Alex I have to get on a short list now to even be considered for as interview. My experience as a middle school teacher has developed a passion and personal commitment to three things: fostering a positive learning environment for students with various backgrounds, maximizing individual student performance and developing student interest in technology.

In my most recent position as a middle school teacher, I developed highly effective lesson plans, 21st century technology exercises and effective assessments that promoted interest and knowledge retention. I have also been highly successful in helping children with special needs to succeed academically and socially in mainstream classrooms. In my work with middle school students, I have stressed critical thinking and applied real world examples to engage students. Technology is a useful way to engage students to delve deeper into the topic that you are presenting. Using the internet for research, student created PowerPoint’s and Prezi’s allow for creativity that showcase higher order thinking skills.Help? Please answer me here or email me at candaceweaver30@gmail.com.
shadowjack

Re: Getting jobs in Africa when you are older

Post by shadowjack »

Candace, never heard of Teacher Horizons. No offense to you, but you must be new to international teaching or the idea of it.

First of all, sign up with Search Associates and TIEonline. Then start searching African schools and openings.

TIEonline will take you on right away. Search will have you go through submission of confidential references etc and pay your 200+ dollars.

But Search has the best data base going and custom configurations for you to find jobs. Don't tell them you only want to go to Africa, though.

TIE is only 39.99 and you can search jobs, but you can't customize your search the way you can with Search Associates.

You are coming late to the game this year. Your best bet, if you go with Search, is to check their Bethesda, Maryland fair in late June and see what schools are attending.

If there aren't a lot of schools you are interested there, you can use Search and look for a job in the 2015- 16 school year.

Good luck!
Micky

Post by Micky »

I think it is doable. By limiting yourself solely to Nigeria you may lessen your chances. If all else fails here's a scenario that would probably work to get you close to Nigeria. Contact QSI, they have many older teachers and do not discriminate towards age. Put in two years in the stans or China and after 2 years you can request to be transferred. Ask to be transferred to Cotonou, Benin. Not far from Lagos and is a nice little school. Good luck
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Khalida

Post by Khalida »

Hi Candace, it is indeed possible! I'm 54, returning to the classroom after 22 years, and just this week secured work at a great school in Africa starting in August. My "Success!" post is in this forum. Best of luck to you!
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

Really it depends on the laws of the country. Some countries will not issue work visas to people over a certain age. You would have to research that.