When does age become a serious obstacle to employment?

Yantantether

When does age become a serious obstacle to employment?

Post by Yantantether »

As pension age qualification rises how long can we all look for that great position in competitive schools? I'd like this topic to focus on the potential restrictions to employment with age and not country specific age/visa restrictions.

Country specific age restrictions aside, how long is it before our age becomes a real burden on getting that job? Or is it more a question of skills/marketability regardless of age? Can a 60 y.o. seriously compete with a fresher faced 30 something?

For example, perhaps a 50-60 something with years of IB exp. will be in a stronger position to gain employment for longer than say a teacher with only UK/US Curriculum exp. looking for positions in British/American schools. Perhaps this raises a further discussion point: Does IB experience provide teachers a skill set that will - in theory at least - enhance employment prospects and longevity as opposed to those without IB experience?

Yes, we can all probably gain something somewhere till we drop but how realistic is it that we can remain employed in the better schools until we reach retirement?

My guess is that we can possibly keep one step ahead with adding experience and skills up to 55-60 and then it will definitely become a real challenge and teachers then have to face the reality of dropping back down the tiers just to stay afloat. The ones who have financially prepared for early retirement will be okay, but what of those that have to slog away till they reach state pension age of say 67 yrs? That's an advanced age for anyone to still be slogging away in the classroom, but one that many will be faced with. Should we all be looking to hang up our wb pens before we reach sixty?

I've been mulling these things over lately as I accept my impending mortality and thought some of you might like to share your thoughts and fears for the future as working age limits rise throughout the western world.
hallier

Post by hallier »

So many schools are introducing retirement ages of 60. Often, this is due to government regulations. For instance, in Indonesia, 60 is the compulsory retirement age.

It is a problem, as 60 as a retirement makes sense when life expectancy was in the 70s. However, that's not the case any more.

I suspect you need to get into your top school in your early 50s then hang on to retirement age. Then, if you need to keep working, the pool of available schools will be more limited, so the chance of getting a spot in a top school will be lessened.

A shame - possibly the best 2 teachers I have seen in my 10 years in international education were high 50s and both got pushed out of the system once they hit their early 60s.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Hallier,

Will be interesting to see, if in the near future, the age restrictions you mention start to rise to correlate with rising mortality rates and pension age.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Yantantether,

there is a thread or a blog entry that deals with aging and teaching internationally.

I suspect it is a combination of where you are, what you teach, and who you know that ultimately determines what age you are done for. I know people in their late 60's still out on the circuit teaching, and I know teachers in their mid-50's who couldn't find a job.

Then again, I know teachers in their 40's who got no job offers either, so age is not the only factor.

Good luck!
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Aghh, I see that now, thanks SJ.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

Have a look at the ISR blog: Over Seas and Over-50

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... d-over-50/
Rob

Post by Rob »

I am a few months from 67 and currently teaching in a tier one or two school in Singapore. I'd have to say that age is a big factor. If I went to a recruitment fair, I'd probably have no chance of being hired, and so after the age of 55, I never have gone to a fair. I've used TIE, and know that come July and August, positions open up all the time, because teachers resign late or a change of heart from a teacher hired for the new year.

I would avoid the job fairs after your mid-50's. I've heard of too many people not being hired in that age group, but then again, there are certainly exceptions. As a further note, I'm a member of a teaching group called "International Supply Teachers" for qualified teachers who for whatever reason are no longer teaching. After you undergo the application process at IST, you receive notices periodically asking if you are interested in being a substitute teacher in School X for a certain period of months, with transportation and housing paid for. It can be a very good thing for an older teacher.

Rob
SAS

Post by SAS »

Do you think the age factor holds true if you are an IB physics teacher?
euxpat

Post by euxpat »

Another problem is health insurance. It gets more expensive for schools with an older staff population is. So if you are forced out, do you pay it yourself until Medicare (or whatever your home country calls it) kicks in? Or do you live somewhere else that has cheaper health care until your old enough?

The admin route may help to keep you in the game longer. Age could be looked on as an asset i.e. "the wisdom factor"!

DoDDS teachers have no retirement age but they are reducing the number of schools so I've heard it's harder to get in right now.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

It doesnt matter what you teach or your curriculum experience, once your the older side of 50 if your not in admin it becomes much harder to get first contract offers.
dimnds

Age..posted a link for how old to teach, lists countries,age

Post by dimnds »

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... rticle.htm

This link gives you every country and lists the ages and laws and teachers have responded below on hyperlinks you click on for certain countries..every country in the world just about.
Rob

Post by Rob »

You might be surprised if you open yourself up to late hiring (after May). I retired at the age of 61 from a very good school in Singapore. In my "semi-retirement", i worked full time at another school in Singapore, but was hired in June. The following year I worked at a very good school in Jordan, and was hired in July. The following year I was hired in early June at a school in Vermont (USA). The following year I was hired in July at a very nice school in Egypt. The following year I was hired at a very nice school in Ho Chi Minh City. This past year I was hired at another different school back in Singapore. Now I'm not really looking any more.

So, I think if you are over a certain age and open yourself up to helping out another school in need, it's very possible to stay working until you are 67, like me. However, I like the idea now of truly being more retired.

Rob
dimnds

Age and getting hired and going overseas by Aug 4

Post by dimnds »

Thanks, Rob.

I was going to take the Instanbul, Turkey position but the US travel site says it is dangerous there.

61 here and just put myself out of going to Saudi..but have a few Skype interviews tomorrow and Friday.

Looking to go in the next few weeks somewhere. I wouldn t mind Singapore, going to Taiwan (went there to get new tourist visa when I was in S. Korea and my new job there hadn t started yet.

Taiwan, China, or wouldn t mind Switzerland or someplace like that.

I do not have any names of schools in Singapore or Taiwan...and some of my experiences of S. Korean hagwons and public schools were not too pleasant. Man called from S. Korea and wanted to know if I would take an Oct job..told him now as I was looking to go by first week in August..

Anyone have ideas?