Thank you in advance for information and advice

jandaan

Thank you in advance for information and advice

Post by jandaan »

Hello from a total newbie. I have read through a great deal of the forum as well as researched myself to death in the myriad online sites. If I might ask some questions here, at the risk of being told to "search before asking" I would really appreciate some insights.
I am a 55 year old nurse with a BS who wants to transition to teaching, ultimately teaching abroad. My current job as a nurse is primarily teaching adults, but I have no experience teaching children. My plan is to do an alternative teacher certification in the state of Florida which leads to full professional certification (elementary level). I then plan to teach for 2 years locally and try to get my middle school science certification. Once I have 2 years of experience it is my hope to get an overseas position, I really don't have a preference for countries. Is this a valid plan? What other things should I consider? What countries would I likely be qualified for? Any and all advice or comments would be appreciated.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

If you are 55 and you need a year to get certified and then two years local experience, then you'll be looking for your first contract at 58. A lot of doors will be closed to you already, as many countries have age limits. You might want to forgo the local experience and try and get a job straight after certification.

Here are a few links you might want to read if you are considering working overseas.

How Old is Too OldTo Teach Overseas?
http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... rticle.htm

Old Guys Trying to Land a Position
http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... 2-2011.htm

Overseas and Over-50: Ask a Question, Share Experiences, Advice and Support
http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... d-support/

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... ht=sixties
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

If you are a U.S. citizen and want to teach overseas try looking into DoDEA (DoDEA.edu). Nurses are usually in demand. There is a current hiring freeze, but by the time you apply and get your references that could be lifted.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I do not want to be negative, but if as IAMBOG says, you will be 56 - 58 with NO teaching experience in a regular school setting, you will find it hard to get work in most international schools simply because (a) you have no teaching experience with the target audience; (b) you are unemployable in many countries by 55; (c) you will be elementary with perhaps an MS Science cert, but maybe not teaching MS science?

Lastly, your competition will be teachers with years of experience, or teaching spouses whose significant other teaches a priority subject.

I am not saying don't do it if that is where you heart is...but certainly be aware it might not be an easy road...
jandaan

Post by jandaan »

[quote="BlueJay"]If you are a U.S. citizen and want to teach overseas try looking into DoDEA (DoDEA.edu). Nurses are usually in demand. There is a current hiring freeze, but by the time you apply and get your references that could be lifted.[/quote]

Are you referring to a school nurse position or a teaching position with DoDEA? Nurses are always in demand, yes, but I would prefer a teaching position.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
jandaan

Post by jandaan »

[quote="BlueJay"]If you are a U.S. citizen and want to teach overseas try looking into DoDEA (DoDEA.edu). Nurses are usually in demand. There is a current hiring freeze, but by the time you apply and get your references that could be lifted.[/quote]

Are you referring to a school nurse position or a teaching position with DoDEA? Nurses are always in demand, yes, but I would prefer a teaching position.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
jandaan

Post by jandaan »

Shadowjack and IAMBOG: Thank you for all those links, and for the comments. The links were very eye-opening. You are correct, the science cert would not be backed by experience, most likely, unless I could get a job based on my transcript, which is unlikely because as near as I can tell I lack earth science credit. Thank you so much for your reply. I hope I don't post this twice as I did with my previous response...I don't know how it happened, so it is likely to happen again....sorry.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Im sorry your just outside the age range to be a viable IT. Most schools cant or wont get a visa for someone whos at that age. You also wouldnt be very competitve as a teacher.

However there is hope for you. First forget middle school science. ISs want teachers who can do all secondary.
The hope is that there is a new IB program in Sports, Exercise and Health Science, which is expected to have a a lot of interest. Most states that have a health science or health technology certification require the teacher to be from an allied medical field. Its very hard to recruit nurses and other allied health professionals into education with the vast difference in salaries. You would be VERY welcome in many districts that have health science schools or programs and would likely get hired locally even without much experience. Then you could use that experience and move into a IS that wants to offer the program.

I have to say again with your age it is a REAL long shot though.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Greetings!

I hadn't heard of the IB program in Sports, Exercise and Health Science. My second teachable is Physical Education, but I really trained to be a Health teacher. Where would I find out more info. about this?

Thanks!!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

The IBO, you can view the introduction page here:

http://www.ibo.org/diploma/curriculum/group4/SEHS.cfm

Its basically a kinesiology program. For more information you would need OCC access.