SPED in Mexico City or Lisbon?

jennifermd25

SPED in Mexico City or Lisbon?

Post by jennifermd25 »

Hi all, I've been teaching for two years in a Tier one school in the EU and have 18 years of experience teaching overall with my MA in Special Education from the US. I also have TEFL cert and experience from working in CA teaching ELL. I think this makes me a fairly strong candidate!! Though I like my current job and know that it is Tier 1, I am tired of the horrible weather and cost of living where I am and am exploring warmer climates. After searching the boards I haven't seen much info on the schools in Lisbon or Mexico City which are two places I am considering looking into. I've also thought about Panama City but I haven't actually been there yet. Anyone have experience with Learning Support programs in these areas? Any advice or recommendations appreciated :)
chilagringa

Re: SPED in Mexico City or Lisbon?

Post by chilagringa »

I guess it's all relative and I don't know where you're coming from, but Mexico City isn't all that warm or cheap. Panama City is plenty warm, but also not super cheap.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Lisbon isnt all that cheap. I suppose its really all relative, since your coming from the EU.
Generally unless someone asks specifically the convention is to aggregate the region as the LCSA. The rational is that theres usually only a couple ISs worth talking about (1st tier) and the rest of no particular interest or value (the coin in the region is notably low on the global comp scale even at upper tier ISs).

Your TEFL certificate isnt worth anything in IE. Your better off someplace in S.Asia as you cant save what you dont make in the first place. There are plenty of warm locals and with better comp.
shadowjack

Re: SPED in Mexico City or Lisbon?

Post by shadowjack »

Schools in Spain and Portugal pay poorly and give you very few benefits. Unless you don't want to save, but live in Spain or Portugal, my advice is to avoid them.
jennifermd25

Re: Response

Post by jennifermd25 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Lisbon isnt all that cheap. I suppose its really all relative, since your
> coming from the EU.
> Generally unless someone asks specifically the convention is to aggregate
> the region as the LCSA. The rational is that theres usually only a couple
> ISs worth talking about (1st tier) and the rest of no particular interest
> or value (the coin in the region is notably low on the global comp scale
> even at upper tier ISs).
>
> Your TEFL certificate isnt worth anything in IE. Your better off someplace
> in S.Asia as you cant save what you dont make in the first place. There are
> plenty of warm locals and with better comp.

PsyGuy,

Not sure if you actually read my post at all. I do not simply have a TEFL. As I stated in the original post, I have an MA in Education and 18 years of experience so I do not think I need to limit myself to SE Asia. I am currently teaching at a Tier 1 school in Scandinavia.
I am seeking advice on places that have a lower cost of living and more pleasant climate. I am open to a good school with a Learning Support program in SE Asia if it had good reviews from others. I am looking for advice from people who have some firsthand knowledge of schools in places that might suit what I am looking for. I realize of course that salaries in "cheap" countries would be lower. Just trying to see if anyone on this site has advice. Thanks for your input though.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jennifermd25

I read your post, including your TESOL certificate with everything else is like stating you graduated secondary school, its not worth anything when it comes to IE. It really doesnt belong with your other qualifications and credentials.

I dont think you need to limit yourself to S.Asia, I dont know whats limiting about it. Thee are some truly exceptional ISs in Asia 1st and Elite tier just as anywhere else has. I recommended S.Asia as it has the climate and the right balance of cost of living and comp.