Job description advice

twostars

Job description advice

Post by twostars »

I have been contacted about a possible position as a "pedagogical advisor" at a school in Europe. I am having a hard time figuring out what that means, seems like a combination between a counselor and a glorified substitute? I plan to ask for more information, any ideas in the mean time? I should note that I am not a school counselor.

The pedagogical advisor:
• is a counselor and a confidential advisor for all students,
• plays a central role in the induction of new students,
• advises the students about their homework, their subject choices and their study skills,
• makes sure that students respect the school rules and reports students who do not act according to the rules to the responsible member of the school management,
• is pro-active in taking over lessons and activities from teachers who are absent without having been replaced yet or who cannot be present in their class for another reason,
• has an essential responsibility in the supervision of the students, inside and outside the school building,
• understands the needs of the students where it concerns counseling on aspects of school life and personal, social life,
• sees the absolute priority of immediate acting in case of any situation in which a student is excluded or treated in a negative way by other students,
• has an antenna for problems that occur in the behavior and the performance of the students and takes the time for listening to the students,
• has the necessary skills to administer and report the results of her/his activities; up-to-date knowledge of ICT is a prerequisite,
• is available as the first ‘Ansprechspartner’ in the school in the variety of situations where teachers and students are confronted with and acts in an efficient and communicative way towards all parties involved,
• reports regularly to the school management about all the facts and developments in the daily life of the Secondary School; procedures to be established together with the responsible member of the school management.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Someone thought they were being creative, its the secular version for a "pastoral care advisor". Its below DP/VP/AP and is in junior leadership since you have no supervisory or tasking authority over staff/faculty and have no disciplinary nor academic authority over students. You are essentially a student monitor. You will most likely spend the majority of your day monitoring lunches/recess and providing relief/substitute duty when needed (which is essentially monitoring a classroom in the absence of their IT).
twostars

Re: Job description advice

Post by twostars »

Yikes.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

"is pro-active in taking over lessons and activities from teachers who are absent without having been replaced yet"

That doesn't sound positive.
twostars

Post by twostars »

expatscot wrote:
> "is pro-active in taking over lessons and activities from teachers who
> are absent without having been replaced yet"
>
> That doesn't sound positive.

Yeah I noticed that part! I think PsyGuy's take is correct.