Bangkok or Hong Kong Search fair? 2 years experience in IE

bluewhale

Bangkok or Hong Kong Search fair? 2 years experience in IE

Post by bluewhale »

Hi guys,

I was wondering which fair would be better for decent schools in Asia? Hong Kong or Bangkok?

I want to stay in Asia (I live there now) and I have two years teaching experience in international schools (IB MYP) and can teach across three subject areas plus 3.5 years of teaching experience in my home country. I have a Masters degree and a teaching licence from my home country. The only issue is that I have had a big personality clash with one administrator at my school. There is good potential for a bad confidential reference (even though they have said they will not do that). However, I should be able to secure a good reference from two other people at my school. I will probably need a reference from this admin though due to their seniority.

Anyway, I have heard the Bangkok fair is better but is very competitive. What is the Hong Kong fair like? Is it mainly represented by schools in Asia? What is the quality of the schools like.

The school I have been teaching at isn't the best and I would like to work somewhere better. However, I don't want to attend a fair and not get a job either.

Thanks in advance.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Do you want to work in China or are you already in HK? The HK fair is basically a swap meet for HK/China ITs, its a regional fare. Most of the ISs at HK are low tier ISs, since all the upper tier ISs did their recruiting literally the day(s) before at BKK. HK is basically a dump fair if you arent already in HK and moving up.

The rule is you go to the most competitive fair you can get an invite too.
bluewhale

Re: Bangkok or Hong Kong Search fair? 2 years experience in

Post by bluewhale »

Thanks, Psyguy.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I agree and disagree with PG. HK is immediately after the BKK fair. But it isn't just a dump fair - some schools go there seeking out the teachers who might not have been able to get time for BKK, but who can make it to HK. HK has a bunch of smaller schools with different regulations, being more Chinese than Western in many ways. At the same time, there is a wider variety in the BKK fair. Why not go to the Melbourne fair if you want to stay in SE Asia or China? You can check out which schools are going to the fairs via links on the Search homepage.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Got to Bangkok. You can get into HK last minute - you can even sign up for it at the Bangkok fair.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Because HK is a dump fair. Its on the heels after BKK and the VAST number of ISs are lower tier Chinese ISs, and a minority of HK ISs. Those Chinese ISs will hire ITs with a virtual interview. Yes there are a couple of higher tier ISs, thats most fairs, even the dump fairs. Its mostly for show.The practical mechanism that HK offers is the opportunity for HK ITs to swap into other HK ISs.