Two strategic questions

twostars

Two strategic questions

Post by twostars »

Today I was contacted by a school, I think they found me in the Search database. The middle school principal asked me which fairs I would be attending and I told him I will be at Cambridge. He invited me to "reach out" to the head and HS principals at the fair, since he won't be there. I know I should be trying to get a specific spot/time, should I maybe email the middle school principal again about that? I imagine closer to the actual fair would be better as it's still 2.5 months away.

Also, are school tours a thing, as a teacher? I'm going to be in the Netherlands for winter break, and wouldn't mind checking out some of the IS there (assuming they are open), even though I am sure they would not hire me at this point.
expatscot

Re: Two strategic questions

Post by expatscot »

Personally, I would contact the head directly cc'ing the middle school principal and ask if you could book a time ahead of the fair, especially if you are interested in the school. Why wait in line if you don't need to? They might even want to interview you ahead of time, especially if they are interested.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Or tell the MS Principal you would appreciate it if the HOS/HS Principal would drop you an appointment card at the fair.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It means nothing. Either an IS wants to pursue you for early and first night recruiting or they want to set up an interview slot for you. If its the latter, than its really too early especially if the recruiter wont put you in contact with the actual leadership/recruiter at the fair. If they provide you an invitation in your folder at the fair than thats a positive sign, but otherwise it just sounds like a recruiter trying to build their line.

I would write the principal and ask for an introduction to the HOS and then ask them if they would like to set up an early Skype interview. If that goes well, suggest meeting on the first night. If they wont set up the Skype interview ask the HOS if they would commit to an interview time slot. If they cant do that (its pretty early) ask them to forward you an invitation to your folder at the start of the fair. If they wont do any of that, than its nothing but a 'cold touch' and a recruiter is just trying to build their line.

Yes they are a thing, its been written about before. Contact the ISs now but dont be surprised if they politely decline, its the holidays and without a strong resume, its not likely they are going to take time off from their holiday to open the building and walk you around the IS.
twostars

Post by twostars »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I need to write the MS head back anyway to say thank you, and I don't have the contact info for any other admin, so I will ask if I can contact them closer to the fair about a time slot.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

As for school tours, yes, they are sometimes a thing. I have done it. However, over winter break you are unlikely to be able to set anything up--even HR and admin take breaks then. You can, of course, try--but don't expect anything. You are more likely to have a worthwhile experience over the summer, when heads and admin are more relaxed, the school is "open," but nobody is around. The teachers or parents or other staff are not popping into the head's office all the time with demands or requests.