CHINA OR INDIA (BEIJING OR NEW DELHI)

Nomad68

CHINA OR INDIA (BEIJING OR NEW DELHI)

Post by Nomad68 »

Not asking about particular schools - the ones I am looking at both have solid reputations but I am asking about expat life in both cities - which would you prefer/recommend - Beijing or New Delhi?
Beijing has slightly worse pollution - New Delhi is dirtier and smellier.
But what about ease of living as an expat family? Safety? General day to day living, shopping, etc.?
shadowjack

Re: CHINA OR INDIA (BEIJING OR NEW DELHI)

Post by shadowjack »

Both are safe. Beijing more organized. Delhi, lately, worse pollution (and not likely to improve as fast as Beijing, because China is dedicated $$$ to solving the problem. India isn't.

Embassy School in New Delhi - AMAZING!

Beijing Schools - AMAZING to amazingly bad.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Beijing definitely has better pollution. Today, we're up just above 200 (which is still pretty crap) but that's the highest it's been since I arrived in August - New Delhi was up above 900 the other week!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would vote for Beijing, its going in the right direction, and I agree with @SJ its better organized and more expat friendly.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Many thanks for the replies - it is Gurgaon rather than New Delhi itself but from what I have read its pretty much the same thing. Both are interesting countries with pros and cons so I shall see what happens.
National

Post by National »

There’s an article in this week’s Economist about pollution in Southeast Asia. According to the article, it’s far worse in Delhi than Beijing.
https://www.economist.com/news/asia/217 ... asp-breath
senator

Post by senator »

Why not choose another place where you don't have to risk your health? I have mentioned this many times before, but what is wrong with some of you!? Pollution, crowds, crazy traffic. You can get the China or India experience in other parts of those countries - the southern parts, mainly - AND have warmer weather, less pollution, and a lower cost of living.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

Access? Easier to get out for weekends and holidays, and less often a need to travel out if you are already in a major/capital city. Higher availability of resources and goods/services. Most ITs have a larger degree of adaptability to cultural differences as long as they have access to modern conveniences. Lastly, access to things to do.
Nomad68

Re: CHINA OR INDIA (BEIJING OR NEW DELHI) - work visa fquest

Post by Nomad68 »

@senator - understood but sadly there are times when you have to take what is available and in my case I need a job in a hurry and those are my options.
Beijing seems to pip the post in desirability but my follow up question is which location is it easier to get a work visa - India or China?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

India by a long shot. Its just an application and a sponsor for a work visa in India. A copy of a degree is usually sufficient to meet any requirements.
China on the other hand since this last spring/summer made it even more difficult to get a Chinese Z visa. Now everything has to be notarized/legalized and then apostilled (verification) and they want all kinds of documents from degrees and credentials to CRBs and marriage/birth certificates for dependents. Each one requiring the same apostille process Just the CRB issue is mess. They want DOS apostilles so your CRB has to be run from the FBI. Then after that you have to have the embassy you apply for your visa authenticate everything. A number of lower tier ISs in China this year are recruiting earlier because of the long work process, and appointments later in the cycle have plans to bring ITs over on business visas as those ISs have better local relationships than they do through the national system.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Nomad, I think you are Canadian, right? You might want to inquire about the tax situation in India vs that in China. Does the school (either one) cover your taxes? What is the effective tax rate in China vs India?

Just because a country is more of a hassle to get into doesn't mean the other country is better in the financials or in the long run. Remember - your school, if it is a decent one, should be helping you walk through the process.

Shad
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

@psyguy - the China process is complicated if it's your first IT post, but we already had much of that done for our previous post and they were happy to accept the documentation from two years previously (we only had to get the CRB from our last country done, and our old school helped us do that though I know most probably wouldn't!)

The real problem seemed to be when they announced the change, rather than the changes themselves - most schools were well down the recruitment line when the changes came in and basically had to go back to zero. Others, like you say, brought in staff on business visas, and as far as I know there's not been a problem getting these converted.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

@shadowjack: not Canadian, Brit. I appreciate your comment - and financials are always a factor but in my current situation I need a fast and easy transition into paid employment.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

Those rule changes caught a lot of ISs off guard, and there was some sympathy by the line inspectors in immigration that made those conversions less traumatic than they could have been. Whether those conversions remain as accommodating or they become more rigid remains to be seen.
YoPreachTeach

Post by YoPreachTeach »

I lived in India for 3 years . It really takes adjusting to, some learn to love it others can't wait to leave. How's your patience level? There's a lot to see but you'll be singled out for 'rich expat' at every turn- ie you'll be taken advantage of by default all the time. Advantage- you'll sometimes get preferential treatment, disadvantage- people will ignore you as you don't belong in 'the hierarchy' , so you won't be taken seriously either. If you do go there, find some good indian friends asap. You'll learn where to go to get what you need, without being gouged. You can get most things in India but you have to know where to look. Everything is connections there. Once you've made these, you're good. If you don't know the system, you'll probably be ready to leave in 6 months. Plus- educated folks speak english, local shop/store keepers don't. The subway system works there but forget about personal space. . If you're female, be extra cautious Good luck whichever you choose!