Private Schools in UAE

applebutter

Private Schools in UAE

Post by applebutter »

What are your thoughts on private schools in the UAE. I have recently been offered a leadership post at a private school there, and I am looking for some insight.

Thanks

Apple
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

Please be more specific what you are looking for?

Whats the makeup of the private DS/IS. If its mostly local host nationals than I would pass, if its mostly international, Id still pass mostly because I think of the whole of the ME as a poo-hole, but i can see where others would consider it.
applebutter

Re: Private Schools in UAE

Post by applebutter »

80% Emirati kids and 20% local arab nationals. The pay they offered was 20,000 UAE but no housing allowance.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@applebutter

Is there anything else as far as an OSH package? Otherwise it sounds like a very average LH package for the region. Its an all host nationals DS, the students arent going to respect you. Id pass. What are your other options, is this your break into leadership? Might be worth it for the break in, since you can cover any mistakes based on the DS and the region.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you are single, doing it for the experience, to do 3 and get out, then go for it. People in the Emirates make more as a regular classroom teachers plus all the perks of a foreign hire. Be very careful.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

20,000 uae is low for a leadership position but probably on par with an entry level admin position. you'll still save a lot, but i would ask what your job description entails and what your responsibilities are.

good luck!

v.
applebutter

Post by applebutter »

These are all good points. It is my break into leadership position. I have been offer a IBDP coordinator position at a school in south america, but the position also requires half time teaching.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Depending on the school in South America, six of one, half dozen of another...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@applebutter

Than the LCSA position isnt senior leadership its junior leadership at best (closer to HOD). Your tasking is in a classroom not an office suite, your an IT with some (significant) TLR.