Venezuela - Would You Go?

santacruzin1

Venezuela - Would You Go?

Post by santacruzin1 »

Title says it all - Caracas specifically.

I've read the news, so I'm aware of how bad things are. I'm interested in the opinions of people on the ground in Caracas or elsewhere in Venezuela - the good, bad, and ugly. Would you take a job there now, after having firsthand experience?

I'm male, 31, single. The only reason I'm considering this is the school in question has some quite good reviews recently, and the director is at the center of those positive reviews. It seems like it might be a good career move for me, given I will have just 2 years' experience by end of my current contract.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would have a heap of skepticism with those recent reviews, Id be hearing alarm bells (fake reviews of cheerleaders). Who is going to write an anonymous flattery puff piece of leadership that makes an IS paradise in what would otherwise be a region more resembling Hades?

Whats the coin in Dollars/Pounds/Euro? Maybe, depends on other factors. 31y/o single male you could have a harem if you wanted to on anything near the average IT comp, especially with a well secured housing package and OSH package. You can get just about everything and anything in Caracas if you have western coin. If its Bolívar forget it.
yasirp

Re: Venezuela - Would You Go?

Post by yasirp »

Hello,

Firstly - full transparency, I am the Head of the British School in Caracas. I assume this is the school being discussed here. I would like to reply to this thread.

Our reviews have been very good since 2014 - yes, that is correct. Instead of being skeptical, let me address why that is - I am often asked the same question during the many interviews we need to undertake. Why would staff take time out, pay the subscription and leave a positive review for a school (and/or leadership)? The answer is quite simple: Whenever a staff member leaves the school, we ask them if they would leave a review - this is at their own cost and is entirely their choice as to whether they do it, and what they write. It really is that simple - some leave a review, and some do not. We live in a digital era where online reputation matters so instead of brushing these things aside, as many schools do, let's address it head on. To be frank, I am surprised other schools are not trying to improve their reputation online.

I am actually flattered by the comments left since 2014. I truly am - we have a great bunch here, a truly amazing team and I am honoured to be the Head in charge.

We also allow any potential teacher the chance to email and speak to any member of staff at the school during the recruitment process. Again, this is to give a full, open and transparent view of what things are like at TBSC, in Caracas and Venezuela. Anybody who wishes to contact my staff, are more than welcome - please send me an email and I will share the list. head@tbscaracas.com is my email address - you can ask me direct questions also.

I hope this reassures any doubters out there.

Finally, Venezuela? Yes it is a country going through transition and there are many sad things happening. The country is in hyperinflation, shortages of basic goods exist, the economy is shot and local currency has plummeted. This is a very sad situation for local Venezuelans who earn the local currency. However, as an expat you earn USD - and that makes your life cheap, fun and exciting. I won't say much else - instead I invite interested teachers to ask the staff body!

Regards,

YASIR PATEL
McTeacher

Post by McTeacher »

I've got a good friend that has been at ECA in Caracas for 3 years and he is really enjoying it. Earning USD is the key, but he also loves the culture and the natural beauty.

My wife and I are seriously thinking of moving down there to teach. Unfortunately, my emails and Search Associates messages have been unanswered as of yet... hint hint @yasirp
overseaslife

Post by overseaslife »

The head of TBSC summed up things in a few lines about the general life here in VZ. Full disclosure- I am at a different int'l school, not in Caracas but rather in the eastern part of the country.

Let's talk about the last 3 months.

Things have calmed down country-wide. Int'l people are returning (and VZ people are still leaving). The US Embassy is bringing their families back. This is a pretty big sign as they are the most cautious out of all the foreign companies. Chevron and Total oil companies are following their lead, bringing spouses and families back. Flights in and out of the country are often fully booked which means you need to make your reservations 6 months in advance now. Stores shelves are fuller now than we have seen in months. Car dealerships all now have cars for sale (in USD) when they had been empty and closed the last few years. It sort of feels like the tide is turning. The pharmacies have products and some medicines. Yes there are still lines at many stories, but we can afford to shop at the stories without lines. What you see on CNN or other news is not where we shop. Nor is it the hospitals we use.

Hyperinflation is crazy. The local currency continues to be worth less and less week by week. The int'l schools here pay in USD, which means your dollar gets you more and more local currency so you can live really cheaply and can take the opportunity to save a big chunk of money depending on how much you travel.

Do we feel safe? Well 80% of our FH staff are returning for next year. So that says something big right there. They are staying for many reasons-- the school and colleagues, professionalism, PD, lifestyle, savings, and the VZ people. Oh and 1 more thing.....the view of the Caribbean right off our balcony as we drink our morning coffee is like medicine for the soul. This is a beautiful country. And yes, these are challenging times.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@yasirp

Well that cost for them is zero. You do not need to register, and pay any type of fee to submit a review at all. You need a paid membership to READ the reviews but submitting one costs nothing.

See only an HOS could believe that their "innocent" request is innocent. You are strong arming them, you control their reference both at the time of departure and afterward, and no one wants to chance that a negative review would in anyway even if in error be attached to them and possibly jeopardize their future. So they right the puff piece, and drop your name a few times because flattery really is costing them nothing save 20 minutes of their time.

Im sure you are flattered, as that was their intent.

Any member of staff, absolute bunk. You dont let them speak to the ITs that are dissatisfied, nor the ones that have left "unhappy". You have an approved list of cheerleaders, and even if you did let them really talk to anyone on current staff, who do you think youre fooling. That IT knows that you know your going to be talking to this candidate, you think they are going to trash talk you or the IS on the record? You had a great candidate who was very enthusiastic than after a conversation the candidate withdraws their interest, even executive leadership can figure out what happened and no IT wants to be on the opposite side of the desk in that conversation.

The only relevant information you provided is that your IS pays in USD, and that really does make all the difference, still at this stage of recruiting there are FAR less volatile regions that are paying average coin. I could see how an IT could leverage the hardship of the region to get a reference from a higher tier IS to speed up their transition in IE though, you have that going for you.

@overseaslife

0% of your staff returning means 20% are not, thats a fifth of your staff, thats a horrible maturation/attrition rate.
Challenges? Your main talking point is that things are not as bad as they use too be. You can preface that with "well the bombs stopped dropping so close and the gunfire in the street is less, so yes things are not as bad as they use to be". Sure thats better, better does not equal good. Its a recovering (maybe) country thats in less shambles than it was, its still in shambles.
overseaslife

Post by overseaslife »

PsyGuy-
Why are you attacking and being so negative? Thankfully, none of my colleagues are like that. 13/15 FH are returning. We don't see it the same way as you luckily. I am a glass half full person. Clearly you are not. No need to respond. Leave this post for those that can contribute from inside the country.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@overseaslife

I consider my position sufficiently strong to withstand debate. this is a forum its where we engage issues, and sometimes they are bloody and aggressive and thats how it has to be some time.
There is no negative, there just is. I am a glass at 50% of capacity type, only data matters.
I only post from experience and from reliable and trusted sources, not that I need your permission to reply or post.
applebutter

Post by applebutter »

The initial Visa process for Venezuela is a pain, and takes a lot of time. Documents have to be apostilled and the consulates in the US are not very helpful/ efficient.