Alternatives to Bangkok

OzGrad

Alternatives to Bangkok

Post by OzGrad »

So, I'm just about to complete my first two years in teaching and am looking for an international position in Asia.

I have spent the past two years in a hardship location and am looking for a city/area with plenty of social opportunities.

Ideally, I would land a position in Bangkok, however, I understand I am not the only one with this desire.

With this in mind can anyone recommend alternative cities that would fit the bill?

Cheers

OG
sid

Re: Alternatives to Bangkok

Post by sid »

KL, Hong Kong, Shanghai, most big cities in Asia really. It might help if you explain a bit more what matters most to you.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I would look at Vietnam before Thailand (assuming it is SE Asia or bust for you). The countries are headed in opposite directions, with Vietnam the one on the rise. HCMC is a fantastic place.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Thanks for the replies.

Apart from a decent school, social life and savings potential would be two key areas.

Yes, I understand those two can cancel each other out :)
Old Republic

Post by Old Republic »

I live in Saigon and it's great for lifestyle, especially if you are a single male.

COL is super cheap.

You should be able to save ATLEAST 1,000 a month and thats with being some what active.

I am only teaching ESL right now and work 18 hours a week and save 1,000 dollars a month and date 2-3 times a week.

I imagine a proper IS you will make more and id hope if working 40+ hours a week you can save 2,000 a month. Not sure though, just speculating.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Thanks for the excellent responses.

To add a bit more detail as far as social scenes go I would lean away from the SK status set.

More interested in down to earth types.

Both Vietnam and Myanmar do sound interesting and I would consider outside BKK for a semi-decent package.

Cheers

OG
beekayem

Post by beekayem »

I'll add another vote to Vietnam and Cambodia. Lived in both and loved them both (single/male)
GLOBAL_TEACHER

Post by GLOBAL_TEACHER »

I lived in Singapore for 7 years and its AMAZING! I lived in Laos for one year and its boring. I lived in Tokyo for 5 years and its AWESOME. I lived in Hanoi for one year and hated it.

SINGAPORE for me by a mile.
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

I currently live in Taiwan and it is a forgotten jewel.

The people are awesome, it is modern, convenient and safe. You can get by quite easily without learning Chinese. However, it is more expensive than Vietnam though. Cost of living would be similar to Bangkok if you don't live in Taipei. In Taipei rent is more expensive than Bangkok.

If you are a single male you will definitely enjoy it here. Saving potential is better outside of Taipei (rent is quite high in Taipei whilst quite cheap in the bigger cities outside of Taipei). However, Taipei has a better nightlife.

If you favour safety, convenience, better public transport and a dating scene as good as Bangkok, Taiwan is a good choice. It does not have as big an expat scene or nightlife as Bangkok though. That could be a blessing in disguise or a negative depending on what you want.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@bluewhale

The main issue with TW is that there are a couple of tier 1 ISs, a few more in 2nd tier and the rest is third tier. There isnt a lot of robustness in upper tier ISs in TW.