Different types of DS -> IS

idonteven

Different types of DS -> IS

Post by idonteven »

I don't think I've seen much on this topic here, but I'm curious how international schools view different types of domestic experience (public vs. charter vs. private), or if they make any distinction at all (speaking from US-centric point of view here). I'm going to be working at a charter school and I can see arguments for why it could be seen either more favorably or less compared to working in the public system. Or is it just "2 years is 2 years"?
Thames Pirate

Re: Different types of DS -> IS

Post by Thames Pirate »

I don't know if schools will see it as that different (unless it's an IB school or the program is so unique that your job description on your CV stands out) in the first glance, but it can give you a lot of useful experience, both for its value in interviews or in the next job, and for its own sake (stimulating work environment that fosters professional growth).

I will say that perhaps one of the best international schools in which I have worked was a DS in the US. While our student body was far less diverse in terms of nationalities, languages, etc., it was every bit as diverse in terms of students' ideas and mindsets as any school. Our curriculum was highly internationally minded and focused, and it was perhaps the most thoroughly integrated curriculum I have ever taught. The staff and students truly believed the mission of the school and became international thinkers even if they lacked the life experiences many of our expat students have where I am now. It was an exceptional place, and I apply much of what I got out of working there to my current job.

Sadly, it was treated as another domestic school, albeit an IB school, by recruiters looking over our resume and only became a talking point once we had landed an interview--and THAT is where it was immeasurably valuable.
fine dude

Re: Different types of DS -> IS

Post by fine dude »

That also depends on the admin background. One of the top schools in Singapore did recruit AP teachers from both public/charter schools.
Among other things, I would highlight the following on my CV irrespective of where I worked:
rigor of the taught curriculum
exam results
experience and accomplishments with teaching EAL/ELLs
leadership exp.
Special projects - training students for state/national Olympiads, science fairs, MUN, debate, robotics etc.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Private/Independent DSs have more value as they are closer aligned to the experience of an IS. Recruiters generally dont make distinctions among regulated/public DSs. Charters can mean very different things from state to state, in one region they may be closer to a private DS and in another they may be a dumping ground for at risk students. Generally if its not from the IE circuit (and there are ISs in the US that are part of IE) its treated the same. The utility differences comes in how you spin the experience in an interview, but two years in DE is 2 years.